Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

DIY Grill Extender

BadongBadong Posts: 125
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
One of you posted this design in another discussion (that I can't find right now) and I added a couple of slight tweaks.  I used it on my 2nd brisket today and it worked "grate" (see what I did there?).
·

Comments

• Rich_ieRich_ie Posts: 268
    Very nice. How much weight will it hold? 
    ·
  • BadongBadong Posts: 125
    Put a 12lbs brisket on there, seems pretty stiff.
    ·
  • Rich_ieRich_ie Posts: 268
    Nice will it swing out of the way? 
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    edited June 2012
    Is that a standard sized grate?
    looks good.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • OMG EggsOMG Eggs Posts: 118
    If it swings, I'd love to see a description of the parts
    ·
    It does swing out using a standard grate.

1.  1 - 5/8"x5" bolt and matching wing nut and three standard nuts.
    2.  4 - 5/8" cut washers
    3.  4 - 3/4" fender washers
    4.  1- L shaped strap
    5.  2 - 3/8" bolts with matching cut washers and nuts
    6.  Weber 17" grate $9

No tools necessary.
    ·
  • NewportlocalNewportlocal Posts: 474
    Very good job!
    ·
  • njlnjl Posts: 801
    After looking at this, it occurred to me, why not just use a few (3-4) sections of all-thread rod, some nuts, some fender washers, and basically install supports for an upper deck on the lower deck, leaving the upper deck fully removable using just the grid lifter?
    ·
  • ccpoulin1ccpoulin1 Posts: 386
    Very nice......now you have me thinking.  There are lots of possibilities to explore here without spending alot of $$$

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

·
  • Z_EggineerZ_Eggineer Posts: 564

Good idea on swinging.  I made one yesterday, but guess I went for sturdiness.  Would it need to sit on PS to be high enough to swing?  There are so many option for DIY... for ex, you can use coupling to connect 2 threaded rods/bolts together for even more height.  I used all SS, but NW says you can use Zinc/galvanized if stay under 1500?

1. 4 - 1/4"x6" threaded SS bolt 
    2.  8 - 1/4"-1" washers
    3.  4 - 1/4" hex end caps
    4.  8 - 1/4" locking hex nuts
    5.  1 - Weber 18" grate with folding up sides and handles - $13 

Does anyone see anything else I need?  Thinking of taking end caps back for more washers/nuts. NTR

·
  • hoffmandhoffmand Posts: 91
    Are the locking nuts you got the kind with a nylon insert?  Nylon's melting point is <650degF so that might be an issue.  I'd just go with two hex nuts next to each other to lock them together.
    Cedar Park, TX
    ·
    They do not have a nylon insert, I made sure of that.  Some of the nuts would stay locked-down tighter than than plain ones and cost 0.02 more each
    ·
    I used a wing nut on the top grate so I could remove it easily.  I just leave the bolt in the lower grate. It makes a convenient handle even though it takes up a little cooking real estate.
    ·
    I didn't even think of wing nuts! *facepalm.  Oh well, I still have my receipt.  I am thinking I don't need the end cap nuts.
    ·
  • cajunrphcajunrph Posts: 44
    Here was my try. 

Bolts, washer, nuts, and a 18" webber grill. Haven't used it yet. Sorry for the flipped image, wasn't that way on my computer. 

LBGE, 
    Redneck Country Club
    Columbia Lakes
    West Columbia, Tx
    ·
  • tgklemantgkleman Posts: 202
    Cajunrph, can you list the pieces?  Thanks
    ·