Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid drop

Options
Boileregger
Boileregger Posts: 614
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

I have had a couple of heart-stopping close calls lately.  It happens when I've got the lid open to put on, turn, or pull the food.  Basically, if I bump the lid at all, it starts to drop and probably drops about an inch before getting stopped.  Each time images of all of the meals I've made flash through my mind as I envision the tragedy of the dome shattering on impact. :-)  I know you're supposed to check the tightness of the spring bands, but are there some nuts I should be tightening on the hinge as well?  Or is this normal?

Thanks.

Comments

• Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    Options
    My XL hinge bolts have to be loose for the lid to operate correctly(open and close). Maybe yours are too loose? Sounds like it. Good luck.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    three things do that on a large, the two bottom spring bolts get loose, they will look crooked. the base is leaning forward, get a level.  one of the springs has a crack in it.  have had all those happen over the years. its usually lower spring bolts loosening up and leaning
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it