Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Was told "Setting the Seal" on an new BGE is not necessary. What is the consensus.

BigDoug
BigDoug Posts: 9
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
In one of my posts I had someone tell me that setting the seal wasn't important and since I have never had a BGE I am not sure what to do. So I wanted to get some input from everyone. Thanks

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Just cook on it. You are going to lose the gasket anyway.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    On my second cook the gasket began to char and it was 400 degrees or so, mine is charred but not coming apart yet after 8 cooks or so. I say its going to burn off anyway.
    Seattle, WA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    FWIW, I set my seal with a bunch of slow cooks, then first pizza flashback, and it was gone.
    but.... it never sagged or came loose.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Please, strike all thoughts of that stupid gasket from your mind. Why don't you just cook on your lovely egg and enjoy yourself.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Agreed. It will happen even if you take the world of care to set it.
    This weekend I made a 13 hour overnight pork butt, and can still keep temp around 225-250 at the grate without having much of a gasket left.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I set mine with a bunch of low cooks before I ever got over 500. Now I've done a couple steaks and pizzas and I'm loosing some of it. I'd still want to set it just because I've seen pictures on here were ppl didn't and it just came off instead of charred away. A lot of ppl are just gasket less and still works fine. Also BGE will send u a warranty high heat one. Guess its to each his own.

XLBGE 
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    just peel it off before it burns on there and call the mothership and have them send out a nomex, they're a **** to get off once they're burned on.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    First let's take a look at the adhesive that holds the felt onto the lip.  It's contact adhesive, a type of rubber cement.  If a new egg get's hot enough over a length of time the adhesive will bubble and the gasket could slide around sometimes falling off when the dome is opened during a cook.  This is preventable by cooking under 350 degrees for around 6 cooks.  Why?  The rubber cement will vulcanize over time, that is it changes from a soft sticky adhesive to a hard rubber that becomes durable.  The tires on your truck are made of vulcanized rubber, tuff stuff but still flexible.  Vulcanization required heat but at the right amount and that is why I recommend cooks between 250 and 350 degrees for at least 6 cooks on a new egg in order to get the soft adhesive to become hard.   Life of the gaskets is dependent on many factors.  By taking it easy the first handful of cooks an egg will have a better chance of keeping it's gaskets for a longer time.   Just my opinion from my experience.  Good luck and have fun cookin on your new egg!

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    just peel it off before it burns on there and call the mothership and have them send out a nomex, they're a **** to get off once they're burned on.
    x2
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Cook like normal, and when gasket goes bad call ATL. Mine is missing a 10 inch portion, and I have cooked without it for longer than I cooked with it. I slow cooked a pork butt for 8hrs and had no temp control issues.
  • BGE Convert
    BGE Convert Posts: 127
    Regarding the gasket, everyone is telling you how it is.  I have had my egg for almost 3 years with the original gasket which was essentially fried.  I did a burn clean a few weeks back and it disintegrated.  I just put a new Rutland on this weekend with instructions from RRP (RRP provided me with the gasket as well).  Cost to do this was under $20.  In summary don't worry about the felt gasket, cook away as it is going to get fried and putting a replacement on is easy and cheap (IMHO).
  • majorpain
    majorpain Posts: 7

I cooked mine when I did some steaks last year at 700 degrees.  I bought a high heat gasket that is rated for 1000 degrees if I remember correctly.  I have not put it on yet so I have no information on how well it works.  I think even the cooked gasket I am still using works great...

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    I have an extra nomex that the mothership sent me if anyone wants it. You can paypal me the money and I will send it out right away. Let me know, I am getting rid of it because I have been cooking without a gasket for months and there is no noticeable difference. I have cooked 18hrs+ without an issue. (I do have a bbq guru though) Just pay me shipping or whater you want to send and it is yours. Send me a message if someone wants it. If I ever install another gasket, it will be rutland.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• BigDoug
    BigDoug Posts: 9
    WOW! Didn't know this would be such a popular subject. So I think I will just not worry about it and  get cooking. 
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Cook how and what you want the gasket will not last when cooking at high temps. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    just cook on it
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    My first cook was T-Rex steaks, which were done over nuclear hot coals.  No problems here.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL