Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy Wheel damper falls open...

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks,
When I open the lid of my egg, the daisy wheel damper falls all the way open. Is this normal? There doesn't seem to be any way to tighten it up.[p]Also - when you need to open the egg to turn or baste or something, the temperature drops dramatically. What is the preferred way of getting the egg back to the cooking temp?[p]Thanks a bunch,
Jill[p]PS - Cedar plank smoked salmon with maple syrup glaze turned out fabulously.

Comments

• BigAL
    BigAL Posts: 29
    Rooster Roaster,
    You need to turn the daisy wheel around so the screw on the outside (not the middle screw) is facing the front of the BGE so when you open the lid it won't swing open by itself. As you open it further you will have to readjust so that gravity won't swing it further when the lid is opened. Give it a try.
    al

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Rooster Roaster,
    When you place the dual top on the egg, position the screw that holds the daisy wheel so that it is toward the front of the egg. When you raise the lid, the daisy wheel will stay in position just by gravity.[p]Perferred method of returning to original temp after opening the egg is to give it some time. If the temp was stable before opening the egg, it will return to that temp in a little while.[p]

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 148
    Rooster Roaster,
    There is a small notch in the daisy wheel on the under side. Just position it toward the left side so it will not open up when tilted up. Look on the bottom of the daisy wheel..

• LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    Rooster Roaster, as far as the temp loss when you open it...[p]I don't do anything. Do what you have to do, then close it. The temp will get back to normal.[p]If you start playing with the vents to get the temp up after you open, the next thing you will be doing is closing the vents because it is now too hot - chasing the temp all over the place.[p]I just do my business and close it up, without touching the vents.[p]Just my $0.50 worth.[p]LVM

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Rooster Roaster,
    one thing i discovered thru laziness...
    don't keep your daisy super clean.[p]when new (or clean) it freewheels. but after a few cooks, it gets gunked enough to not slide AND it sorta gains its own natural 'gasket'.[p]meaning that when it is shut completely, it is nearly airtight rather than leakey like a sieve (when clean).[p]as for the temp drops when opening, that's just because you have vented the hot dome air. if you have an established fire, the dome itself will be heated to temp, and although the temp will drop when opening, it will quickly re-establish temp.[p]do NOT try to manage those micro swings, or as some said, you'll chase temps all over the yard.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Everyone,
    You are all awesome. Thank you so much for your detailed answers!![p]Jill