Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dinner inspired by Necessary Indulgences

Howdy_Doody
Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Kristi is arguably one of the most talented cooks on our forum and she continues to inspire me to try to do better with every entry she makes.
She has been in Alberta Canada this week enjoying the scenery and food.  Most of the posts on her Facebook, however, have been of food  (I love a woman who posts a picture of six slices of bacon when the Canadian Rockies are just outside her window).

Yesterday, she posted a bison steak with caramelized onions and mushrooms.  It looked yummy, so I gave it an attempt with a bovine ribeye steak.

I didn't get my fire hot enough for TRex before time, so I did the cowboy approach and seared it directly on the coals.

But, things went well after that and I pulled at 140˚. Perfect medium rare.  I put the caramelized onions on top of the steak and the mushrooms on the side, because my wife doesn't care for mushrooms.

Excellent meal.  Thanks Kristi !

Dripping Springs, Texas

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Looks good. You Fl buddy called me the other day in Fl.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Howdy_Doody
    Mickey,

We only have two common buddies.  Travis and Mrs. Chan.  I can't picture Mrs. Chan calling you in Florida. 
    :))
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Mickey
    My friend it was the one called Richard.
    And for your information Mrs. Chan has offered to buy me lunch :-c
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Howdy_Doody
    edited June 2012
    And for your information Mrs. Chan has offered to buy me lunch :-c
    Oh yeah?  Well, she offered to fly me to SF to speak at a seminar she's giving for some Chinese culinary delegates. I am to teach them the proper methods of stir frying.  I told her "first class" or no go.  
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Oh yea, well I'm going to FL for two weeks starting on the 1st and my Dads name is Buddy. His birth certificate says Claude but his mom and brothers call him Buddy.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Nice looking meal.  Love caramalized onions especially for French Onion Soup.  Here is a spread that I have recently made from trying to duplicate a gift from ennie meenie as my elfster this past Christmas.  Worth the effort and great with cheese and crackers.
    Condiment, Spread, Onion, Balsamic, Caramelized

INGREDIENTS:  
    4-6 Medium    Onion of choice, Vidalia or other sweet best, Chopped fine  
    1-1 1/2 Tbs    Crushed Red Pepper  
    2 Tbs    Garlic, Minced  
    1/2 Stick    Butter  

5 Tbs    Turbindo Sugar  
    1 Tbs    Lemon juice  
    10 Tbs    Apple Juice  
    5 Tbs    Balsamic vinegar  

PROCEDURE:
    1 Take the onions and dice fine. Add butter to cast iron pan
    and then the onions. Now the finely minced garlic and the crushed red pepper
    flakes.
    2 Over low heat stir for about an hour until they are wilted
    and starting to turn brown from caramalization. Add the sugar and stir for
    another 15 minutes. Then the rest of the ingredients and stir until a medium
    thick paste forms.
    3 Cool and serve with crackers, cheese, hamburgers or whatever
    sounds good to you.

Recipe Type
    Condiment

Recipe Source

Source: Robert Rothschild Farm, Urbana, Ohio, 2012/06/18Yr

Received a bottle from Rebecca as a Christmas present 12/11 and enjoyed it so
    much this is my version. Real close to the
    jar.

• Mickey
    Oh yea, well I'm going to FL for two weeks starting on the 1st and my Dads name is Buddy. His birth certificate says Claude but his mom and brothers call him Buddy.

Travis did you drop in the wrong thread again :ar!

• Mickey
    Richard I used your Death By Garlic in hamburgers and Wow.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Thanks.  Hope you have recovered from your oyster blood letting event.  Come to Fl for the Sunshine Fest and we will go in search of the purrfect oyster at a local beach bar or 2.
  • Mickey
    Thanks.  Hope you have recovered from your oyster blood letting event.  Come to Fl for the Sunshine Fest and we will go in search of the purrfect oyster at a local beach bar or 2.

Will happen in the next few years my friend.

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Great looking meal, Gary!   And thank you so much for the kind words.  :\">

AND!  HUGE thanks for recommending the Gypsy Guide for our Icefields Parkway drive -- that was awesome!
    We are back home in Florida... below sea level, humidity, and tropical storms. :) 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Kristi is amazing. Here I thought I was the only one who followed her on FB.

Meal looks awesome. I need to try steaks that way. Please tell me that isn't Kraft Macaroni and cheese though....

:D

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Howdy_Doody
    Great looking meal, Gary!   And thank you so much for the kind words.  :\">

AND!  HUGE thanks for recommending the Gypsy Guide for our Icefields Parkway drive -- that was awesome!
    We are back home in Florida... below sea level, humidity, and tropical storms. :) 
    Yea !!! You got the Gypsy Guide !  I am so happy you did.  That thing is fabulous.
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Howdy_Doody

Kristi is amazing. Here I thought I was the only one who followed her on FB.

Meal looks awesome. I need to try steaks that way. Please tell me that isn't Kraft Macaroni and cheese though....

:D
    Puleeeese, Grif !  You think I'd buy some store bought plastic, misnamed as macaroni and cheese?  Never !!!  It was Stouffer's.   :)) :))

I also like their Spinach Soufflé. 
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Griffin
    =))  I should have known better.

Rowlett, Texas

• chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    How can you sear directly on the coals without getting ash and grit all over the steak that does not seem like it would be very good. Has anyone else ever done steaks this way.
  • Howdy_Doody
    How can you sear directly on the coals without getting ash and grit all over the steak that does not seem like it would be very good. Has anyone else ever done steaks this way.
    Sure, a lot of people do it that way.  For some reason, the ash doesn't stick to the steak.  In this case, one large (about 2") piece stuck, and I just flipped it off.

None of the fine ash that would cause a problem are sitting on top of the coals, at this point of the fire.
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    edited June 2012
    seems really weird and would be scared to ruin a good steak by throwing it on hot coals might have to try it on some cheap meat to see how it works

• Griffin
    I haven't done a steak, but I've done veggies directly on the coals for a salsa. Tomatoes, onions, japs and I thinnk there was something else. Everything just brushed off.

Rowlett, Texas

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    That's a good looking meal there.  Nice work.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio