Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

g'day!

allitnils
allitnils Posts: 109
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Greetings fellow bgeggers..
This is just a quick shout to say hi, and introducing myself as another Australian joining the forums.
I purchased my big green egg a while back, while they were still stocking it here in Australia - though after a pizza night the gasket burned, at approximately the time when I was moving houses, so I never bothered to repair it.
Have been searching stores and online for places that would supply new gaskets to Australia, and with a bit of luck, patience and advise from various sources I was able to find a supplier who is hopefully sending my new Nomex gasket over as I write this!
Excited to getting back into cooking, have already scheduled an evening in two weeks for slow cooking a bunch of beef ribs and a brisket. This should give me time to replace the gasket and clean the egg, bringing it back to its former shiny glory.

Looking forward to swapping ideas, though mostly lurking through the forum to get some recipes to try out!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited June 2012

Welcome aboard, an international community for sure!  You will get all the support/help and pearls of wisdom...here.  Many are willing to help with any issue you may have BGE related and beyond.  What follows are a few things I learned from the "school of hard knocks" that may be of use-

Misc info-on indirect cooks (platesetter in) your dome temp will initially read around 20-40*F hotter than the temp at the cooking grid-gaps narrows the longer the dome is shut.  If not specified, cooking  temperatures reference the dome temp.  Check the calibration of your dome thermo before you start.  Always wait til the smoke is burning "clear" before putting your food on..(if smoke smells good then all is well, if not-wait)

A couple of things-BGE fire is air flow controlled (assuming you have enough lump and got it going).  So, temperature control (aka fire volume) is a function of the amount of air flow through the bottom and out the top.  You can control by top or bottom vent or combinations of each (preferred for low temp cooks).  With any BGE (I have a LBGE) the trick is to catch the temperature rise on the way up to the desired end-point.  You have a lot of ceramic mass and if it gets heated above the target temperature it takes a while to cool down. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

So, with that-get a good mass of lump burning and then shut the dome and set your vents for the approximate final desired temp.  Minor adjustments as you go.  And remember, the feedback indicator to any adjustments is your dome thermo-and that will take a while.  So, patience is the name of the game at the low & slow temps.  Read all you really need to know here-

Best basic info site going- http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    hi, thanks for the reply and insightful advise!
    Particularly about letting the smoke 'clear' before putting the meat in..
    I guess it's something that I need to practice, and will only come as natural once I've done it a few times.
    I'll be certain to remain active in the forum and post pictures/stories of my grills to come.
    I'm thinking that perhaps to "australianise" my egg, instead of a brisket I might do a kangaroo loin or something..
    Unfortunately most our native animals are endangered, but roos are found most anywhere.. :P

Ah yes, nakedwhiz was one of the helpful people who guided me in directions to getting a replacement gasket.
    I've been reading his site religiously over the past couple of weeks to accustom myself with cooking techniques.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited June 2012
    BTW-in a former life my family and I were lucky enough to spend a year "Down Under" back in 1995.  Really enjoyed the experience and much more.  Lived in Canberra but traveled all the states-need to get back on holiday at least one more time.  What about Moreton (sp?) Bay Bugs...or a Vegemite based sauce:). 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.