Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big GOLD Egg (with photos)

Options
2»

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    BYS1981, I don't think the fact that it is a lifetime warranty is relevant. Any item sold with a warranty, regardless of length, is covered by the warranty the manufacturer provided at the time of the sale. Imagine buying a car thinking you have a 3 year 30,000 mile warranty, and then a week later getting a letter from the manufacturer saying they decided to make it 2 year, 20,000 miles. 
    Excellent point. Lol.

Car Salesman: "75k warranty brother"
    Guy: "awesome deal!"
    Following monday.
    Car Salesman: "warranty was actually changed to 75 miles bro"
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    WileE, no you don't have to register.  There is no legal requirement to reqister with a manufacturer to obtain warranty service.  You only need proof of purchase, i.e., a receipt.  I doubt BGE is going to start weasiling out of most warranty claims.  That would soon destroy their reputation and a big selling point of theirs. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    WileE, no you don't have to register.  There is no legal requirement to reqister with a manufacturer to obtain warranty service.  You only need proof of purchase, i.e., a receipt.  I doubt BGE is going to start weasiling out of most warranty claims.  That would soon destroy their reputation and a big selling point of theirs. 

See section 18 of their warranty: "18. REGISTER THE WARRANTY: Warranty registration is available at BigGreenEgg.com. Failure to register the EGG at BigGreenEgg.com, or to register your purchase by other means that may be made available by BGE, will invalidate your Warranty."

I realize that the mandatory registration may not be legally supported by certain states but that is what their warranty says anyway.

I also realize that BGE might have included all the legalese and disclaimers to protect themselves from abusive warranty claims, just like most other vendors do these days. But then you are counting on the subjective review and approval process and the vendor's arbitrary decision to back your warranty claims, and this is always an iffy situation at best. The vendor could change their internal guidelines or policies at any time and switch to a more aggressive stance where they look for every reason to deny claims as a way to maximize profits and minimize support costs, and the consumers would be burned with little or no legal recourse. The warranty does still have some value and hopefully they will cover most things as before, but they do specifically list a fair amount of exclusions or parts that have much < lifetime coverage, so I personally wouldn't put that much faith in the warranty or pay extra to get it. If I could save $150 or more by purchasing from a discounter "unauthorized" dealer then I would do it in a heartbeat, or even just buy used eggs when you can find them. Just my $0.02 worth.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Well, you are right again, WileE, lol.  I was looking a the law regarding "Full Warranty".  Have you ever seen a Full Warranty?  Can't say that I have.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    When I bought my egg the  "Warranty" was lifetime so I'm hoping I never die.