Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here
My new egg table turned out so nice that it seemed a shame to install just an ordinary egg. I decided to rebuild my egg starting with a complete tear down. First I scrubbed it clean with a 3M grill brush on the inside and a stiff nylon brush with mild dish soap on the outside. The felt seal was burnt in a few places so I removed it and repaired a few small chips in the rim with JB Weld Stick epoxy. John from BGE headquarters was kind enough to help me order a new Nomex gasket which I installed along with a new stainless draft door obtained from a local dealer. I used Permatex copper high-heat silicone to seal the draft door. I also replaced the old hinged band with a new spring band and replaced the standard BGE temperature gauge with a Tel-Tru 200-1000 model.
Then I decided to do just one more thing. The green ceramic finish on my egg was in great shape but it just didn’t match the brown earthy colors of my new table. Green is a fine color for grass, parks, gardens, etc. but my egg will sit in its new table surrounded by a concrete patio and a vinyl siding house so the green color just had to go. I lightly sanded the exterior of the egg with 100 grit sandpaper followed by course steel wool, and then I wiped it down with rubbing alcohol and clean rags. I waited for a sunny 70 degree day with low wind then I spray painted it with Dupli-color ceramic engine paint which is rated to 500 degrees F. I used a nice metallic gold color and applied a total of 3 coats (2 light coats, 1 heavy coat) within 1 hour per the directions on the can. I let the egg sit for 24 hours for the paint to cure enough to be handled and then I reassembled it and installed it in the table.
Unfortunately I was not careful enough during installation of the spring band so I nicked the paint near the rim in a few places. It takes a full 7 days for the paint to completely harden so this was my fault for rushing the rebuild. You aren’t supposed to re-spray this paint until after the first application is fully cured so I had to wait a week and then I was able to apply 3 more coats which covered the nicks and filled in a few light spots that I missed on the first pass. This time I was very careful when installing the spring band and I didn’t chip the paint at all. I decided to paint the feet and cap to match while the egg was drying. I also put the daisy wheel through a high burn on my gas grill and polished it with a wire brush, then applied two coats of black silicone grill spray paint which is rated up to 1200 degrees F. The egg came out better than new and it made a great match for my new table. Here are the pics: