Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Catfish on the egg

Kyvette
Kyvette Posts: 3
edited June 2012 in Seafood
I've searched the seafood category for catfish, but didn't find anything helpful. I have fresh catfish fillets from St John's river in Florida in the 5 - 8 oz size. Would like to grill on the egg, any ideas or assistance would be helpful. I've only grilled salmon on a plank and wasn't pleased with the result.

Comments

• I dust them with Uncle Bucks catfish seasoning from Bass pro and grill direct around 500. You could do any seasoning but the uncle bucks is tasty and provides some crunchy texture. It's actually for frying but I love it grilled. Gooduck and let us know how it turns out.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Howdy_Doody
    Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
    I thought catfish had to be fried.  This may send shockwaves through all of the VFW Friday Night dinners.   :))
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I like to take the filets, place in a casserole dish cover with dill, thin slices of lemon, seasoning and some mayo covered with a few panko bread crumbs and bake 30-45 minutes at 350 'til they are flaky.If whole just open the cavity stuff with some lemon slices and proceed as if they were fillets.
    Here is another idea:
     Fish, Catfish, Oriental, Felch, Susan
    Egglaine

I do this in a cast irom on the egg. ***Felch's Oriental
    Catfish ***In Memory of Bob Felch ****************Dust two good sized fillets in
    cornstarch and fry in lite vegetable oil (some sesame seed oil is a nice
    addition). When cooked, pour over the top a mixture of:

INGREDIENTS:  
    2 Tbs    Soy Sauce  
    2 Tbs    Vinegar (Malt, preferred)  

1 Tbs    Sugar  

about 6 Tbsp. of warm water  

PROCEDURE:
    1 Bring to a boil, scraping the pan to catch all bits. Put all
    onto a warm platter. Nice to sprinkle with a couple chopped green onions. So
    don't use too much oil, or overcook the fish. Good served with rice and a green
    veggie.
    2 The sauce is superb!

Recipe Type
    Seafood

Recipe Source

Source: BGE Forum, Susan Egglaine,
    2008/06/06

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    There's just something completely un-American about grilling catfish. I'm an old country boy, so that's the only way to do it as far as I'm concerned :)
  • Kyvette
    Kyvette Posts: 3

Thanks for the input, I like grilled fish and also like fried catfish. However, this egg needs to earn its keep and the wife thought try grilling the catfish. I'll do it in the next few days and let you know.

Frying in a cast iron is another idea that I need to try.

• friscoag
    friscoag Posts: 97

I grill direct with Chef Paul's Blackened Redfish Magic.  http://www.kpauls.com/site.php?pageID=365&iteminfo=1&productID=8

This seasoning is great on all seafood.

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I have a question about direct: doesn't it stick to the grate or start to fall apart? It did on my old gasser but I have not tried on my BGE yet.
    Are you not puttingg it on foil or anything?
    Boom
  • I had good luck with fresh fillets from publix. I seasoned with Swampys BBQ rub. Grill 350 10 mins each side. Was VERY GOOD!