Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple Pie on the Egg

Airwolf
Airwolf Posts: 76
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I attempted an apple pie this weekend, the wife helped peel and slice the apples.  I got the crust recipe from America's Test Kitchen and the filling from Taste of Homes.  It was fantastic.  Cooked indirect at 450 for 20 mins, then lowed to 350-375 till the crust was done and the inside was a bubbling gooey mess of goodness.  I made sure to get the lump very hot before bringing it back down to get rid of any smokiness.

Comments

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Looks amazing. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    absolutely awesome =D>
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    well done! :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Awesome job!! =D>

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    When you brought the temp down did you leave the pie in and set the vents to lower the temp? And how exactly did you get the lump very hot before lowering the temp? This whole temp control thing still has me stymied.
  • Airwolf
    Regarding the very hot lump:  I just let the lump burn, no D/W and fully open bottom grate until there was no more visible smoke coming from the egg.

Bringing the temp down:  I left the pie in the egg, just like a conventional oven when you adjust the temperature down, it is not instantaneous.  I choked the D/W and lower vent down to where I do my long and slow cooks. I knew this would be adjusted to far down, however, I was checking the egg often.  I did not want to put the fire completely out and also did not want to leave the pie in a completely closed egg.  When the temp got down to the 375 range, I slowly started adjusting the vents to keep that temp.  I did play the temp. chase game a bit, but I think pies are not as forgiving as a Boston Butt.

As with all my cooks (indoors and out) I do not focus on the time listed in recipes.  Things are done when they are done.

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    When you brought the temp down did you leave the pie in and set the vents to lower the temp? And how exactly did you get the lump very hot before lowering the temp? This whole temp control thing still has me stymied.
    @10Driver for temps think: air supply + fuel =temp

If you open the bottom vent as wide as it will go, and take the DW of the top your BGE will get to the max temp.

To lower temp, cut the air supply by closing down the bottom vent and the DW vents.  If you restrict air, you restrict temp.
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    For those of you that use your Egg like this (an oven), what is the advantage of using the Egg over the oven?
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Airwolf
    I did it just to try it. 

And also when the outdoor temperature is in the middle to upper nineties, I have a hard time heating up the air I just cooled with an A/C only to cool it off again. 
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    For those of you that use your Egg like this (an oven), what is the advantage of using the Egg over the oven?
    Probably not much more than the joy of using your egg. I've done baked beans in there before and they were no better than the oven, but I enjoy cooking on the egg so why not. I guess one advantage would be that it gives you an extra oven if you need to cook something in the other one. Others may correct me but my opinion is that there probably isn't much difference unless you want to add smoke to a dish in which case the egg would be better suited than the oven.
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Thanks for the answers guys.  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

Looks delicious. 

I did two just-to-see-if-works this weekend; brownies and pop corn.  The brownies were very good, but not any better than iniside.  I actually thought the pop corn was better than air popped.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Being that I love Apple Pie more than just about anything, I had to take a look at this thread again
    =D>
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Looks great ... and I know it tastes even better!
  • For those of you that use your Egg like this (an oven), what is the advantage of using the Egg over the oven?
    I've generally done pies after baking pizzas.  You've already got the egg up to such a high temp that it seems like a waste of coal and heat not to bake a pie.
    Lucky to have a LG Egg My Blog: http://manvsgrill.blogspot.com/
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    I don't see where a little smoke on an apple pie could be a bad thing ... >:D<
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • 10Driver
    @10Driver for temps think: air supply + fuel =temp

If you open the bottom vent as wide as it will go, and take the DW of the top your BGE will get to the max temp.

To lower temp, cut the air supply by closing down the bottom vent and the DW vents.  If you restrict air, you restrict temp.

Yeah I understand the basic concept of wide open for high heat and closing it down. But mine takes FOREVER to cool down. Also the OP made it sound like he heated his egg up to high heat before cooling it down. In my experience that would take me close to an hour. If that is what he did, did it take this long and was the pie out of the egg cooling off the entire time. If he simply lowered from 450 to 375 then that's easy. But I was wondering if he left the pie in while lowering the temp.
  • Airwolf
    I was shooting for a initial temp of 475.  I left the dome open while I was burning the charcoal off or waiting for all the smoke to disappear.  I then put my plate setter in place, foil on it in case the pie leaked, and then the grid.

I then waited for the egg to get to 500ish, once to 500 I brought it back down to 475.  I have found that I need to overshoot slightly to heat soak the egg a bit.  Once back to 475 I put the pie on.  Once the pie was on for 20 mins, I left the pie on, but started adjusting the vents to get it back to 350ish.  This did take a little bit, but as you can see by the picture the pie turned out fine.

I think you are over thinking the whole temperature thing.  I didn't take the egg up to 1,000 and let it sit there for an hour, then bring it back down.  I left the dome open while trying to get rid of the smoke, this meant all the dome ceramic was still at ambient temp.  With the fire choked down, after closing the dome, it doesn't over run.
  • 10Driver
    Ok that makes sense. The fact that you left the dome open while the initial smoke was burning off helps.