Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raining on the Egg

Options
Ranger908
Ranger908 Posts: 44
edited June 2012 in Off Topic

Planned to cook scalloped potatoes and tuna steaks yesterday.  It was raining a little (actually raining buckets, tornado warnings, and flood warnings).  Emptied the rain-gauge before I started.  Set up and fired up the Egg with the help of a umbrella and ran.  Temp went right up to 450.  Whole cook took about a hour.  Checked the rain-gauge and it had 1.5 inches.  Egg didn't even know it was raining.  I was drenched, but everything was cooked perfect.

11 inches of rain in the last 25 hours.  Sun is out now.  Life in Florida. 

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    It does happen here in Florida, I am in Brevard County and it has been a light steady rain for the last 2 days.  Next time you are in Home Depot or Lowes, go to the AC section and get a vent cover for around $7-8.  Make sure you get one that will fit the top with cap off.  Been thru a few hurricanes with that on.
  • Ranger908
    Options
    Good idea. One for the Egg and one for my head.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    Wish we could get some of that rain here in the midwest...its too dry.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
     Make sure you get one that will fit the top with cap off.  Been thru a few hurricanes with that on.
    You control the cook with a wide open chimney and only the bottom vent?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Janssen14
    Janssen14 Posts: 50
    Options
    Send some my way! Need it bad
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Options
    Just be glad you don't live in the Pacific Northwet...  :)
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    You control the cook with a wide open chimney and only the bottom vent?
    I have cooked with the top off and control with just the bottom vent.
    However I was referring to the top having a vent cap on in the rain and just controlling the air flow from the bottom as the top vent is fixed open.
    Some times they are called roof cap vent covers for houses..
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    6" "shanty" vent cover is what I use, works awesome! fits on the dfmt like a glove
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Wow, I would have thought you could not control with out the top.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Richard Fl
    Options
    It is difficult to do at low temps but 300+ usually works.  I do not do it as a matter of practice, but have eggsperimented on a few occasions.
  • Ranger908
    Options

Only think you would use the vent cap to get the fire going.  It was raining hard throughout the whole cook an I had the vent open, couldn't tell that it caused any problem. 

Strange thing was that after the cook I put the cap on and closed the bottom up tight.  Cleaned out the ash this morning and there was a lots of water in the bottom.  Had to come in after it was closed up.

Only problem I had was when I opened the eqg to flip and remove the food the smoke went up under the umbrella and choked me, causing me to have to move the umbrella and then I got wet.  Life is tough.

Another couple of inches so far today and storm is not moving.