Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with cooking with adjustable rig from ceramic store.

SheaPressley
SheaPressley Posts: 7
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I did buy an adjustable rig from ceramic store and put brisket on bottom and 2 pork butts on top. Cooked initially about 250 for 5 hours then dropped down to 230 at midnight left all night until about 11 next day. Total about 16 hours. Last several 8 hours dropped to 200 down to 170. The pork butts were great. The brisket was charred on bottom layer about 1/8 th inch, other than that it was pretty good. I had both wrapped in foil after midnight. Any ideas on how to avoid future charring on brisket? Butts and brisket cooked fat side up.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Don't cook with the AR-but I put fat side down so that any of the charring you mentioned is with the fat side and not the meat...If I read the above right you foiled them for around 11 hours...may want to experiment with that choice as the bark will get quite soft after the run in the foil.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Did you use the spider and stone under the brisket or was it directly over the fire?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Sorry for getting to this late but just got back from the New England Eggfest.   Couple ideas that should help improve the cook:

- Given that ceramic cookers cook above the heat source, not offset, it's best to place the meat with the fat cap down.  The fat cap provides added protection to the meat.  Trim the butts and brisket to leave 1/8" to 1/4" thick fat cap.  

- It's better to put the brisket over the butts: butts lower grid, brisket upper grid.  Butts are a more forgiving than brisket, so temperature variances do not affect them as much. Brisket is fickle, so need to pamper them more than butts.

-  When placing the brisket on the grid,  align the brisket with the butts.  Do not cross the meats.  Having the butts under the brisket provides better protection for the brisket and the best set up for airflow.   

- When foiling the pan bring the foil up and out to extend the coverage for drippings.  Make sure you still have adequate airflow coming out of the fire ring.  You can't get all the drippings, but can get a little bit more coverage.  Good chance the pan will fill up.

- Can foil the butt grid where the butts hang outside the pan's coverage.  Butts are so forgiving, I don't do this but some folks do. 

- generally lower grid cooks faster than upper grid but not always.

- if you have two Rig grids (oval or 16.5 round) use both.  Just place the brisket grid on the bge grid atop the rig.  This way, if you want to rotate the butts and brisket, just change the grids, no need to handle the meat.  

Feel free to call me, if you need more help.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    These are great tips tom, thanks. Just saw my order shipped (thanks again), and plan to do a brisket and butt for Rand of summer party in august.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Thanks everyone for the tips, this forum is great!
  • Was this a direct cook or did you use a a stone?  Just curious because I am debating on getting a plate setter vs. adjustable grid + stone setup.  If you were using the stone it leads me to believe the stone setup does not provide as much "protection" from the fire as the plate setter (due to smaller diameter??).