Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tough Luck with Father's Day presents

Options
brewcityegger
brewcityegger Posts: 94
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

Having tough luck with Father's day presents this year, my first one too.  I am still waiting for T shirts from allcustomshirts.com, one for me and one for my father.  I ordered these on 5/28, sent two  messages and heard nothing.  I am guessing they are just backed up and I will get them soon.  Not as concerned about this.

I then got the igrill from groupon, it was a great deal and I was trying to decided between the igrill and Maverick 732.  Saw the groupon and i thought the graph feature would be cool so what the hell why not.  Got it in the mail onlu a few days later, opened the box and three screws fall out of the back of the casing.  The igrill is broken and the screws will not go back in.  Good news is I can send it back to groupon, bad news is they give a refund and cannot give me a new igrill.

I am starting to think maybe this is the Egg Gods trying to tell me something...................time to order a Maverick 732!?!?!?!?!?

:-?

Comments

• MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    Options

T-shirts, meh.   

igrill & 732, forget the both of them.  My 732 is at the landfill after 4 cooks and reviews for igrill at amazon are similar.  I talked with a guy at Eggs by the Bay Eggfest who went through 4 732's and finally bought a thermoworks 2 and I think I'll go the same way.

• brewcityegger
    Options

What types of problemsdid you have with your Maverick?  Everyone seems to like them.  Just curious....

• rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I'm interested to hear what problems you've had too. We have done hundreds of cooks with the maverick. Outside of the Guru, the Maverick is one of the most popular in competitions. What temp are you cooking at when you have your problems?
  • brewcityegger
    Options
    I'm interested to hear what problems you've had too. We have done hundreds of cooks with the maverick. Outside of the Guru, the Maverick is one of the most popular in competitions. What temp are you cooking at when you have your problems?

I guessing you obviously like your Maverick if you have done 100's of cooks with it. I am thinking that using the Maverick would help elminate my need for a Guru or Stoker.

• rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I guessing you obviously like your Maverick if you have done 100's of cooks with it. I am thinking that using the Maverick would help elminate my need for a Guru or Stoker.

We use both, Guru on the big meats that are my primary choice for turn in and the Maverick for my back up meats. Both are great! I just never had a problem with any of my Mavericks. The Maverick will not stoke the fire like a Guru, it will only give you temp readings. If you want a set and forget then go with the stoker. Friday night at the comps, we don't sleep much, getting everything ready for turn ins saturday afternoon.  Cooking for family and friends is much less critical on temps, then cooking for judges.

My guess is those that are having problem, are cooking high temp. If that is what they are doing, I see why the problems. it maxed out under 500.

• MikeG
    Options
    Guys see the neg reviews for the 732 on Amazon.com.  Mine is one of the 1 star reviews and there are more than a few of them.   Mav 732 is a hit or miss device and if yours goes bad after the amazon return period you just toss it in the trash.  That's what happened with mine, and it was inaccurate to boot. 
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Options
    Rich-ie where are the wires going  ? looks like they going up through the dome.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.
    I love my 732. Used it this weekend on a pork butt.
    I used to go through remote thermometers like nothing. The Mrs would try every fathers day for years.
    For me the biggest thing to keep them running:
    1) keep it away from direct flame. Run it over a plate setter leg.
    2) don't use for searing cooks. There are thin wires in there.
    3) don't let the end where the wire goes into probe get wet. Water in the probe will kill it.
    4) I wrap my wires loosely in foil to help insulate it. Others say they don't but since seeing it, I've been doing it. I figure it can't hurt.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • MikeG
    Options
    Yep, check marks on all 5.  Still failed.  I'll be getting a thermoworks TW8060 when budget allows but will have to say goodbye to radio transmit capability. 
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options

What types of problemsdid you have with your Maverick?  Everyone seems to like them.  Just curious....

My girlfriends dad is on his third one and he has had to have the probe wires replaced on it.  He's holding out getting a Guru...but its a matter of time before this one fails based on past experience.