Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter problem?

Richtermedic
Richtermedic Posts: 49
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I used a plate setter underneath my first turkey today. Forgot to use a drip pan. Plate setter now covered in turkey drippings. Will this burn off or is it a problem?

Comments

• No problem. It will burn off. Just throw it in at the end of a hot cook or do a clean burn and throw it I there. It will be good as new.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Also I just went out to shut it down. And noticed my temp at about 550. I closed all my vents, put daisy wheel inside, and put green cap on. Looks like my gasket is loose ions place on top and bottom. This is only my fourth cook. Should gasket be coming loose this early?
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Yes the gasket is fried. 
  • Ok when it cooled down, no problems. Is it normal to have a gasket problem on 4th use?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Not normal-but not out-of-the-ordinary. Contact BGE HQ and they will send you a replacement Nomex gasket gratis.  But search gasket failures and it is a given (only a question of time til it happens).  Many go gasket-less and there are several options for replacement.  You may be able to reinstall it with contact cement-3MSuper 77 is the flavor of choice fromHQ, I believe.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    A dirty plate setter is a happy plate setter!!!  I did a cook today at my place today w/ a fellow EGGer and he was surprised about my setter....It's my 2nd setter (1st was broke by the kids in the pool trowing crap) and been used about 15 times.  I just hold it over the trash and use the ash tool to scrape it when it gets alot of crude on it!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Fosk
    Fosk Posts: 19

I'm having the same issue with my gasket.  I just got my BGE for Father's Day and have done 2 low temp cooks (chicken then ribs) in order to "season" the gasket.  After the ribs came off last night, I raised the temp to 400-450 for about 20 minutes in order to clean the grate and when I opened the lid and the the gasket had about a 4 inch section that had come loose. 

Should I go ahead and replace the gasket or continue using the original for awhile since the gasket does appear to form a good seal once the lid is closed.  I would like to at least of gotten a handful of cooks on the original gasket.

• mrdnks
    mrdnks Posts: 67
    Maybe you need to loosen the bands and reset the lid, it may have shifted when you tightened them the first time.
    I had my egg a couple years with a fried gasket and it still worked well, Like others have said you can run without a gasket, I would reset the lid before I replaced my gasket this soon.
  • The dealer delivered and put mine together. It makes a good seal when closed. And isn't even loose now that it cooled down.
  • Called and was told "oh well it happens" about the gasket. Hope this is not typical of the service from HQ. Was told that there is no warranty on gaskets and I can just buy another. After 4 cooks???

Is this normal?
  • Airwolf
    Airwolf Posts: 76
    That doesn't sound right at all.  You sure you called the correct number.  I would have quoted their warranty back to them which can be found on the website.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I'm with Airwolf on the response-that is the first-time I have heard HQ take that approach with the gasket issue, especially when it is so new in the life of your BGE.  I would try them again...can't hurt.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Just got off phone with hq again. Wonderful service. Corrected misinformation about warranty on gasket. Got info and it's in the mail. Eggin is good :) this is the service I was hoping for
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Egg HQ told me that the gaskets had a 1 year warranty on them.