Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perfect Grilled Chicken Breast Method?

Options
inkyon
inkyon Posts: 88
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anybody have their own perfect temperature and method to share to deliver one juicy and seared chicken breast.I know everybody has their own rubs or sauce, but I'm interested in method and temperature.  I haven't able to nail the perfect one yet on the BGE. 

Comments

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Supposedly the sous vide method turns out a tasty and moist chicken breast. However, it takes a special machine or some trickery with a crockpot to pull this off. 

I would suggest brine the breasts for a few hours, then rinse them off, sprinkle with your favorite rub and they'll turn out great. A brine will keep them moist. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    take to only 155-160 max.  overcooking is the only thing that dries out meat.  seriously.  brining helps keep it moist when overcooked, but can be skipped if you simply don't overcook.  if you want to brine for flavor, of course, by all means.  add some herbs/garlic, etc.

but be careful of the temp you take it off
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    stike is correct, as usual. 

I like to brine them as it gives me a little wiggle room as far as when I pull them off the egg. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    I cook chicken breast to 155-160* direct between 350-375*.Spatchcocked(sp?) with the leg/thigh about 180*

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Anybody have their own perfect temperature and method to share to deliver one juicy and seared chicken breast.I know everybody has their own rubs or sauce, but I'm interested in method and temperature.  I haven't able to nail the perfect one yet on the BGE. 

Bone in skin on?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    raised grid direct and off the egg at 160 always works for me. i like them cooked whole breast, not split, always more juicy and i split them when serving. another trick is to start them skin side down and dont flip til the skin lifts/fills with grease/and starts to crisp up. i cook breasts 350 and higher dome temp and wings and thighs at lower temps so i never mix parts on the egg unless cooking whole birds. heres one from the weekend

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    raised grid direct and off the egg at 160 always works for me. i like them cooked whole breast, not split, always more juicy and i split them when serving. another trick is to start them skin side down and dont flip til the skin lifts/fills with grease/and starts to crisp up. i cook breasts 350 and higher dome temp and wings and thighs at lower temps so i never mix parts on the egg unless cooking whole birds. heres one from the weekend

That's a fine plate of food!!  Well done.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • inkyon
    inkyon Posts: 88
    Options
    Just the boneless and skinless one. It is absolutely easy to cook the whole breast with skin on because of the fat layer from the skin to keep it moist. I just happen to have the boneless and skinless ones right now so I am trying to master it to have it so juicy and seared. 375 degree is the way to go? How long it usually takes to cook it? 

Bone in skin on?

• GeauxEggin
    GeauxEggin Posts: 31
    Options
    I have two techniques that I use for boneless skinless breasts that I use depending on how much smoke I want.  I'll either cook them at 250-275ish direct for 20-30 minutes (pull at 155) or at 350-375 direct for about 5 minutes per side (155)  I think the most important thing for boneless skinless is to pull them at 155 lightly cover with foil and let them rest for 5-10 minutes.  That way they will hit 160 but won't over cook.  The always seem to be plenty juicy without brine or even a wet marinade, all I usually do is give them a dry rub.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    boneless and skinless goes in the wok, soy based marinade with fish sauce sugar, garlic, then wok with a little oil, and then add to the stirfry
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ottawa_Eggman
    Ottawa_Eggman Posts: 111
    Options
    Did some last night brush with a little EVOO coated with Dizzy Dust direct 400 until they had a nice sear about 10  minutes per side they were awesome tender and juicy little bit of a crust form the DD
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

We've been doing boneless skinless four nights a week lately.  Marinate in spices with yoghurt, buttermilk, salad dressing, asian marinades. Cook on a raised grid at 400* or so to i55*ish. Pretty much replaced burgers with breasts pounded flat and marinated with sundried tomato dressing and avacado slices

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mole351
    Mole351 Posts: 110
    Options
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    Extra Virgin olive oil
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options

That plate looks perfect!  
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Options

+1

That plate looks perfect!  

Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    What is EVOO?
    Extra virgin olive oil
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm all Sous Vide, all the time with Chicken breast. It's awesome
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I put plate setter in and cook at 350 until about 155, which is like 30-40 mins depending on breast.