Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FTC - The King of Coolers?

Options
Tiger Tom
Tiger Tom Posts: 12
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
What is the King of the coolers, in your opinion?  Make/model/size/other considerations.

Thanks

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    No doubt- yeti coolers are the best.

http://www.yeticoolers.com/

Far from the cheapest, but they are built like tanks
    Greensboro, NC
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    YETI, all sizes, hands down. Not cheap though.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    edited June 2012
    Options
    When I was obsessively salt water fishing. The king of coolers was Icey tek, but they aren't cheap. I had a 270QT with rope handles. Size totally depends on what you are trying to accomplish/store in it. Most people aren't trying to put 100-200lb tuna with wahoo and yellowtail. Best of luck on your search.

http://www.icey-tek-coolers.com/icey-tek-cooler-selection/
  • BLDGMAN
    BLDGMAN Posts: 30
    Options
    Check out engel, they keep ice longer than the yeti's. Engel has 2" of foam on all sides, yeti is thinner on the bottom.
  • Tiger Tom
    Options
    I guess I wasn't specific enough. I'm talking about a cooler for keeping Egged food hot. But thanks for the tips on coolers for cooling.
  • Newportlocal
    edited June 2012
    Options
  • Newportlocal
    Options
    This may help. I am sure others will chime in with better advice on favorite technique,foil,towels,etc. I think a standard cooler will work fine.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/357039/how-do-i-keep-food-hot-in-a-cooler

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    No doubt- yeti coolers are the best.

http://www.yeticoolers.com/

Far from the cheapest, but they are built like tanks
    +1. Never found one even close.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    I guess I wasn't specific enough. I'm talking about a cooler for keeping Egged food hot. But thanks for the tips on coolers for cooling.
    The Yeti will do just that.

Simply no other better than Yeti

• Newportlocal
    Options
    Damn! Now something else to add to my list. Just bought a de buyer mineral pan yesterday.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    All these coolers will keep things hot or cold. It's the same idea. The longer they keep ice cold, the longer they will keep food hot. it's all about the amount of insulation.
  • Tiger Tom
    Options
    Maybe I should lower my sights to the Prince of Coolers -- under $100 or so.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Tiger, I honestly don't think a top of the line cooler is required for what we use them for.  Take a decent cooler and a couple of towels and you will be just fine.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Tiger, I honestly don't think a top of the line cooler is required for what we use them for.  Take a decent cooler and a couple of towels and you will be just fine.</blockquote

Totally agree. I use a $39 igloo. I kept a butt hot in it for 12 hours a few months ago (not recommended but was still 146 degrees when I pulled it).
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    +1 with Duganboy.  No need to invest in a special cooler-and I write that because all BGE owners have to have a cooler to handle the adult beverages required for tending to the BGE-or said another way-escaping from too much outside direction:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Options
    Damn! Now something else to add to my list. Just bought a de buyer mineral pan yesterday.

I was thinking the same thing! My wife is only just beginning to figure out what she got herself into.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • Newportlocal
    Options

I was thinking the same thing! My wife is only just beginning to figure out what she got herself into.

Lol. My wife doesn't mind. She buys clothes. I buy kitchen gear. Our four kids and her eat well. This month so far. Magnum plus peppermill, penzeys tellicherry extra bold peppercorns, firewire grill skewers, de buyer mineral b 12" skillet. Went to Smart and Final for first time in years today. I told her it was like Disneyland. I bought diamond kosher salt and a cambro 12qt with lid, and of course some groceries. They are all stuffed now from chili dogs with microplaned cheddar,chili, and onions with corn on the cob. She is drinking a margarita I accidentally made too strong. :D
  • AUWAG
    AUWAG Posts: 73
    Options
    If you've got the money get a 45-75 qt yeti. Expensive upfront but it definitely keeps things cold/warm. My favorite thing about it is that it doubles as a seat or standing platform. 500 + lbs  can be on top of it. Makes it far superior to other coolers and you won't have to buy another one. Can be heavy so make sure you don't plan on toting it around a lot. 

Another great cooler that is perfect for carrying around is the 24 pack Polar Bear http://www.polarbearcoolers.com/polar-bear-coolers/navy-24-pack-polar-bear-coolers.html

Holds 24-30 beers and ice.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Yeti. I love mine. And I used to go thru coolers hard. I'm an avid fisher and hunter. An engel is a great cooler, but it's no Yeti. I'll put my Yeti against an Engel of same size any day. I have owned both. Very good product. But not like my Yeti. And I live in SC and hunt/fish here and GA year round. Not hottest place in USA, but gets "warm"

To answer OP if want under $100 get almost any brand but go white and marine grade. If I remember a 150qt (maybe it's 100qt) Coleman marine is only $80 at wal-mart. Marine grade will usually be one of the best the maker offers and white does best with deflecting heat.
    Boom
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    320 qt SSI
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • texbagger
    texbagger Posts: 90
    Options
    I do know Coleman makes a 5 day cooler that didn't hold ice for 24 hours.  Huge disappointment at my first camping trip with it.  Wait, maybe it was tested in Fairbanks in winter.  Now I must admit, I was pulling out a beer now and again. :)

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    look on craigslist for cambro's or carlisle food carriers. They're hands down the best, trays slide in and out. I've kept one hot after preheating almost 12hrs.
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    Options
    I've kept one hot after preheating almost 12hrs.
    This is a great point, regardless of the cooler you use. If you need to stretch the time for hot or cold storage, get your cooler as close to temp before adding your food/drinks.

For holding BBQ I'll fill the cooler halfway with hot tap water and close the lid for 20 minutes or so before adding food. Dump it out and add your foiled/toweled food and even a cheap cooler will do well.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • Chunz82
    Chunz82 Posts: 14
    Options
    K2 cooler.... Made in Louisiana and a bit cheaper than Yeti... I own both
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Options
    Engel or Yeti if you want to spend the money. Coleman Extreme if you're on a budget. The Engel and Yeti will set you back almost 10X what a Coleman will. That's a lot of replacements but if you need serious long term ice storage, you can't beat the Engle or Yeti.

Here's a good article:

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Off topic slightly but a quality cooler gets you more than how long it keeps cold or hot. Is a Coleman almost as good at ice? Sure, why not. But in couple years, the Coleman isn't as good. Parts fail. Hinges break. Use hard, stand on it, keep on boat for 4-5 days, in woods for 5-7 days. Then compare.

Now most people use only for a day, if that. Most use a afternoon. Sure, go cheaper route. But if you use hard, and rely on it, then like most things in life get the better product. But like most things in life people won't use enough or won't appreciate the benefits of the better things (BGE ....)
    Boom
  • Renatboost
    Renatboost Posts: 26
    Options
    Slightly off topic.......Any idea where you can get replacement hinges, the plastic ones, for Coleman 100 size?

Thanks in advance
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    A few years ago I bought the Coleman steel belted cooler, it sure looked sharp and was over a $100 if memory serves.  It sucks at keeping things cold.  It's not a Yeti for sure.  We still use it for overflow cooling but it goes through ice like there is no tomorrow. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • ClayWhite88
    Options
    Yeti! All day every day!
  • Newportlocal
    Options
    Slightly off topic.......Any idea where you can get replacement hinges, the plastic ones, for Coleman 100 size?

Thanks in advance

Like these? Hope this helps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleman-Replacement-68-100-qt-quart-Cooler-Hinges-/320735251113#ht_560wt_772