Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Emergency Preparedness

Howdy_Doody
Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Living on the coast, we constantly keep our eyes on the Gulf.  A tropical storm or hurricane can pop up in the summer months without much warning.  Today, we are watching a disturbance out there and we have no idea where it might be headed.

It is imperative that we be prepared for a catastrophe.  Food and drink will not be available for several days from stores, and so we must stock up on them ahead of time.  I keep a stash in my closet for such occasions.  See picture below.  I suggest you do the same.  Pick out the items that are bare life necessities to ensure that you can survive.

Note to self:  Buy some tostado chips tomorrow.

This is a public service announcement.

Dripping Springs, Texas

Comments

• more rum!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Howdy_Doody
    Excellent !  

Note to self:  More rum.
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Why is the rum always gone?!?!?!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,654
    up here most go to the coast to see what all the fuss is about, me, i take the boat out and see whats biting
    :Deven i have more rum than that and i rarely drink the stuff
      :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Also need some New Glarus, Capital, and Lakefront brews too.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Ha, I made a buy for the hurricane preps today.  Already stocked up on other essentials.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Also need some New Glarus, Capital, and Lakefront brews too.
    That has Wisconsin written all over it! Definately need some New Glarus Moon Man.

• troutgeek
    Also need some New Glarus, Capital, and Lakefront brews too.
    That has Wisconsin written all over it! Definately need some New Glarus Moon Man.

If you like Moon Man, give your local Lakefront Fixed Gear a try. I think you'd be pleased.

• Howdy_Doody
    Revised.  Doc, I'll make my way to your house if all else fails.

Looks like Debby has a name, now.

Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Ha, I made a buy for the hurricane preps today.  Already stocked up on other essentials.

Your Sam's flatbed looks like mine. Lots of lump....and booze...with a little food mixed in :D

• Smity
    Smity Posts: 57
    Ha, I made a buy for the hurricane preps today.  Already stocked up on other essentials.
    I can tell you don't mess around!
  • Revised.  Doc, I'll make my way to your house if all else fails.

Looks like Debby has a name, now.

<br/
    man you are fast. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that that was not photoshopped!
  • Fixed gear is also very good. Moon Man is my go to "Lawn Mower" beer. I made some home brew from a Northern Brewer kit called, "Tongue Splitter" now that is some hops.
  • Howdy_Doody
    up here most go to the coast to see what all the fuss is about, me, i take the boat out and see whats biting

I don't think you'd want to do that down here.

Hurricane Ike, 2008.
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Booze if for my daughter's wedding reception.  Lump is about 2.5 months worth for me.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Booze if for my daughter's wedding reception.  Lump is about 2.5 months worth for me.

Oh.......my bad :)

• Doc_Eggerton
    In all seriousness, we do live on the Florida coast.

• troutgeek
    In all seriousness, we do live on the Florida coast.

Thank God somebody remembered the Whiskas! No joke -- you guys stay safe down there.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,654
    havent been in a storm like that yet, my worst was a squall with 20 foot chop and takeing the boat down into a 40 foot trough and thru the next wave, only lasted a half hour or so. then the fishing was great. i bet you 2 to 3 days after ike the fishing really turned on
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Howdy_Doody
     i bet you 2 to 3 days after ike the fishing really turned on
    Nobody knows.  There weren't any boats left.   :-O
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Howdy_Doody
    edited June 2012
    havent been in a storm like that yet, my worst was a squall with 20 foot chop and takeing the boat down into a 40 foot trough and thru the next wave, only lasted a half hour or so.
    Those are some pretty rough seas.  I'd be puking my guts out.   :-&

Reminds me of the movie "The Perfect Storm".
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Chris88
    Chris88 Posts: 41
    There where a lot of boats in the city after Katrina.  
    Egg head in Louisiana.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited June 2012
    Being here on the East coast of Fl near the Space center, I also like to keep pantrys stocked, I  have a generator and several cans of gas, fill up your cars with gas and don't forget cash as the money machines have no power to work. You'll be safe.
  • JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    I was talking to the BGE dealer in Wilmington, NC a few weeks ago.  He told me every time there is a storm developing in the Atlantic that has any local potential, he has his best days of the year.  Apparently everyone runs out and buys a BGE so they can have something to cook on after the storm.  Pretty hard to blow a BGE away I bet (I hope).
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    edited June 2012
    Aaah, Cruzan Rum. Visited the factory on my trip to St. Croix last summer. Wife loves the stuff and we sure had our fair share.

XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Sgt93
    More Cruzan Rum Factory

• Howdy_Doody
    There are two places I want to go before I die.  It's the only two items on my bucket list.

Visit Collinsville, Illinois and see the world's largest bottle of ketchup, and the Cruzan Rum Factory.
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    There are two places I want to go before I die.  It's the only two items on my bucket list.

Visit Collinsville, Illinois and see the world's largest bottle of ketchup...
    Clark Griswold would be proud:

"Or perhaps you don't want to see the second largest ball of twine on the face of the earth which is only four short hours away. "
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Sgt93

Visit Collinsville, Illinois and see the world's largest bottle of ketchup, and the Cruzan Rum Factory.

I didn't even know about the worlds largest bottle of ketschup being in Collinsville. I have been there several times as well (I'm not from IL, just stuck here for a bit).

The Cruzan Rum factory makes all the ingredients into a syrup then exports it to the US where it is officially made into alcohol. Pretty crazy. We enjoyed the tour.
  • Howdy_Doody

I didn't even know about the worlds largest bottle of ketschup being in Collinsville. I have been there several times as well (I'm not from IL, just stuck here for a bit). 

Dripping Springs, Texas