Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 bonless pork loins

Options
tazcrash
tazcrash Posts: 1,852
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well going to a block party later at 4 pm. So here I am up starting 2 boneless ~6lbers from Costco in the cryovac.
Well the first thing I had to do was tie these bad boys. They were a mess of sloppy meat, and even had some small bone chunks in it.
Once I got them tied we inject 1 with stubs' Texas butter and we rubbed both with bone Sucking rub. I used a whole 6.2 oz bottle on these 2 butts. I have some Bad Byron's that i got for father's day, but The Mrs didn't want to use it cause she thought it would be too hot for most, especially the kiddies.
Ok, 1:30, Got the fire started. Added a few chunks of Cherry, and got some good smoke going.
I put both on at about 3am. When the temp was about need, and I put them on straight from the fridge.
The party is 13 hours away, should be plenty of time (can crutch if i need).
Later I plan on making some Carolina vinegar sauce from recipes I got here.
OK the maverick is saying 223/45, time for some shut eye.
Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
All to get cheaper brisket! 

Comments

• tazcrash
    Options
    OK woke up to the grate temp @216,
    and it seems like the butts are in their stall at 154/164.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    Options
    OK, talk about each piece being different...
    1 is coming off now. Just so happens it was the one with Texas butter injection.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    1 is coming off now. Just so happens it was the one with Texas butter injection.
    Makes perfect sense. Liquid is a much better conductor of heat than air. More liquid = more efficient heating
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tazcrash
    Options
    OK. I like having the explanation.
    I put the trouble maker in the crutch, and it's almost at 200 internal now. I did also raise the grate temp to 280
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Do you call that pork loin there? These look to be pork shoulder or butt.
  • tazcrash
    Options
    OK. I like having the explanation.
    I put the trouble maker in the crutch, and it's almost at 200 internal now. I did also raise the grate temp to 280
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    Options
    You are right, I said loin, they are shoulders:
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    Options
    Well the 2 butts were a hit. Most eaten food there, and there was a ton of food.
    Well that and the Mrs' cowboy beans made on the stovetop
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well the 2 butts were a hit. Most eaten food there, and there was a ton of food.
    Well that and the Mrs' cowboy beans made on the stovetop

big taste difference in the injected and the "trouble maker"? anything we can learn from doing one injected and one not? was it worth it?

• tazcrash
    Options
    OK. I used half a bottle of Stubbs Texas Butter, which to me didn't have as much flavor as his Chipolte Butter I used on the chuck roast.
    Thqe injected butt did seem a bit more moist, but not much. It even could have been my imagination.
    As far as flavor no one could tell the difference between the two. I'm still guessing that it was the lite profile on the Texas Butter another reason might be perhaps because the drip pan was a wreak! I had it up on copper T's but there was a ton of burnt mess in there. .It looked like all the stuff got squeezed out.
    One thong I can say for sure is that the injected butt seemed to pull easier than the non. Probably from the vinegar in it.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I have injected butts with several different injection recipes.  Never could tell a lick of difference in the ones that I injected and the ones that I rubbed and sprayed with apple juice.

Now I admit, that I am not one of those people who has a pallet that can detect hints of flavor in food, wine, etc. I always just laugh when I read those reviews where they say a hint of cherries, a kiss of oak, etc.
  • tazcrash
    Options
    Now I admit, that I am not one of those people who has a pallet that can detect hints of flavor in food, wine, etc. I always just laugh when I read those reviews where they say a hint of cherries, a kiss of oak, etc.
    You and me both.
    well I gave it a shot, with a side by side.

Btw, the Mrs weighed in, she does have one of those pallets, didn't taste a difference, but did confirm that the injected was moister.
    Looks like I can save myself some money just using apple cider and cider vinegar.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    Nice to hear a report from a side by side comparison, thanks for posting the results.  The only thing I've injected that really seemed to make a difference was the turkey and chicken I made for Thanksgiving, which I injected with a store bought cajun butter.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've never noticed a difference either with Briskets it butts so I don't do it. Poultry is a different story. You can really rate it but I find it strange to have those flavors inside the bird (just me).

Also Taz- for your own consumption: there is no "he" at Stubbs. He died several years ago and this company just licenses out his name. Stubb never had any of that stuff in his restaurants. It was just old school BBQ (and not that good). All these marinades and rubs we're all invented by a company years after his death :).

Doesn't mean they aren't great though. Just have nothing to do with the man himself.
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    What time was this please? They look great. 
  • tazcrash
    Options
    One price took 10 hours (injected). The other just over 13.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    Very good. Thank You.