Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

? for those of you who use an electric starter?

MDHog
MDHog Posts: 43
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
What do you do with it after you pull it out of the lump and it's cooling off? Seems like a good way to go for starting up but the idea of a hot branding iron sitting somewhere on the porch for the kids or dog to bump into lacks appeal. How long does it take to cool off?

Comments

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I hang mine about 6ft up on a wire fence with an s hook
    Lynnwood WA
  • I set it on 2 bricks, it surprisingly cools of quickly, I would say 5-7 mins or so.  It also gets up to temp quickly, I can usually get the egg up to 500-600 degrees in 15 mins.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    The electric starters are all designed so that you can sit them down and the coil will not touch the surface. You can easily set the starter in a safe place. I've used one for years without incident. 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    The electric starters are all designed to sit with the coil elevated off of the surface. You can easily find a safe place to sit it after use.  I have used one for years with pets, children and grandchildren without incident.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    There are a few alternatives to lighting the BGE that are consumed within the lump-fire starters, oil soaked napkins come to mind-FYI-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • moose28
    moose28 Posts: 61
    Like Dugan said. Cools down pretty quick. I just lay mine on the concrete floor of the garage. Kids and dogs have never went near it.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    When I've used it with lots of people around, I just remove it from the lump and take it inside and sit it on the stove top, or even in the oven (provided the oven is cold).  Just for peace of mind.
  • BBQBeerman
    BBQBeerman Posts: 62
    I set mine on the railing of the deck away from any activity, the way it's designed nothing hot touches the deck.
    Life is short,love what you do or do something else
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160

I just put it on the ground and it is right next to the egg and by the time I am done adjusting the egg and getting it ready the starter is already cooled down.

I would not really worry about it.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    The old gasser makes a great cooling stand.  Keeps it out of the way and safe.  Only thing I've used it for since I got my Egg.
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I put my on down on the patio and put a brick on the handle so it can't move.  I've already kicked the cord on one, it spun around, and it melted a hole in my siding!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    I use mine to keep unwanted hands from opening my EGG while my eats cook!!!!    Really I just hang it up!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • I just put it on the patio table (cast aluminum) with the coil facing up away from the table.

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Just sit it on the concrete cools down so much faster than you'd think. I now have a hook on my table and just hang it there. It's towards the back and out of the way. That's we're I store it too. But yes it's hot!! I've branded my table, luckily not my children.

XLBGE 
  • GeauxEggin
    GeauxEggin Posts: 31
    I set my down on the short side of my egg table coil up.  It is cool to the touch within 10 minutes maybe less.
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I use a galvanized steel bucket for my ashes, and put my electric starter in there.  I put the lid on it, and everyone stays out of it.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    edited June 2012
    The old gasser makes a great cooling stand.  Keeps it out of the way and safe.  Only thing I've used it for since I got my Egg.
    That was the same gasser I had before the switch to real outdoor cooking via the egg!

I place mine horizontally on the deck railing.  There's a lip on the starter that grabs the side of the railing and keeps the hot element off the wood.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    either on my weber or laying on the concrete or asphalt, they're designed to stand up. They cool REALLY quick, usually by the time I unplug it, place it down, set things up and close the egg, it's cool to the touch!
  • STANGOJE
    STANGOJE Posts: 44

I hang mine on a metal hook in the garage.

• I use MAPP Gas torch.
    Weekend job: husband, father, camper, outdoorsman, Big Geen Egg Eddict. In my day job, I provide financial peace of mind to business owners, retirees and professsional entertainers/athletes, serving as a trusted advisor, guiding clients through a defined process to help them preserve, protect, grow and successfully transfer their wealth. Call for your free private briefing: 352-422-one six zero six. Thought for the day: "Life is like a roll of toilet paper... the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes." - Anonymous Banker John aka John McCullough, CRPC