Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ka Bah Beeeez

Options
SteveWPBFL
SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Today's plan is kababes. I've not done them much over the years. But the wife mentioned it and as Jeff Allen says, Happy Wife = Happy Life.

So for the meat it's going to be shrimp, scallops, and pork tenderloin marinaded or rubbed with a variety of things.

The usual vegetable suspects: Onion, cherry tomato, mushroom, zucchini, yellow squash, peppers

Some outliers: We'll also grill some lettuce and some corn, just to show 'em it can be done.

What I remember about kababes is you EEVO and salt and pepper the veggies, it's better to put all of one kind of thing on one kababe otherwise it's hard to cook a mix to desiredness for each thing, and, double skewer each kababe otherwise the items tend to spin different amounts.

And since I haven't done these before on the Egg I'm guessing on the set up to be raised direct at 350F dome with little or no smoke.

Hope you all are having as much fun as we are!

Comments

• NattChukk
    NattChukk Posts: 15
    Options
    Sounds GREAT! And I love Jeff Allen! Let us know how that lettuce turns out!
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    Grilled Romaine is awesome. Cut the head in half. EVOO, salt and pepper and do each side 30 seconds to a minute. Very tasty.

Buckeye Bob
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    We had quite a cook. The wife was full of superlatives, and with her many years working in nice restaurants she knows what good is. A sequence of photos follows, we had such abundance that I forgot the lettuce and will make that a priority next time out. Here's the veggies prepped, the usual suspects.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Here's the meat prepped. Pork tenderloin, some with just salt & pepper for the little guys and some with Dizzy Pig. Same for the shrimp and scallops but instead of DP some had Old Bay.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Here's the corn on the grill. With some stalk, buttered and salted beforehand. It was AMAIZING!
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Here's the veggies and corn off the grill. My 19 year old son was wowed by the corn, onions, and peppers and he's never been one much for veggies (to be fair I think he's starting to 'come around' in that regard).
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Here's the meat skewers. We had plenty for five.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    This was my plate, it was the best meal I've had in weeks, lean and mean!
  • SteveWPBFL
    edited June 2012
    Options
    OK, so we did the cook raised direct at 350F dome and cooked the corn first, the veggies second, and the meat last. Everything was brushed with melted butter and or some EVOO. The veggies and some of the meat skewers were prepped in lime juice, drained, and spices noted above were mixed in. The corn just prepped with melted butter and kosher salt.

There was enough of each to fill the raised grate. The corn was cooked for 25 minutes and rotated every 5 minutes or so. The veggies were cooked about ten minutes, rotated once, and the goal was to be a little al dente, which they were. The meat was a little over ten minutes, probably fifteen, and everything cooked up pretty even, nobody underdone and nobody overdone.

So, about an hour in all after prep and with the BGE humming along, the 350F dome was a perfect temp as everything cooked up perfectly according to my wife and in reasonable time and the fire did not threaten to burn anything according to me while I enjoyed a few beers and talking with my sons.

I've had the BGE about six months now and spent that time focusing on doing meats right. This was our first cook where we added in a large amount of veggies and our lives have been changed once again!