Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for chicken marinade suggestions

kjed
kjed Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend's birthday is coming up in a couple weeks, and he's been going on and on about how he wants to come up to have some egged food, so my wife and I are going to throw him a party. He wants chicken, which is fine (except he won't get to try my mojo-marinated pork tenderloin).[p]I usually cook whole chicken upright on a poultry stand, after marinating overnight in zesty italian dressing. I wouldn't mind trying something different, however. What suggestions do any of you have? I could also inject the chicken, as I got the discounted Cabela's injector, but haven't used it yet.[p]Thanks![p]kjed

Comments

• kjed,
    i just did a beer can chicken the other night. .. [p]marinaded in 50/50 olive oil/lemon juice with herbs de provence. .. . in the can i put 50/50 mix of white wine and the marinade. ...it was a dang good chicken. ..

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    kjed,
    How about spatchcock chicken? It always turns out great. Here are two marinade ideas; Chinese marinade- my favorite, Lee Kum Kee. One part marinade to three parts water, mix and pour in a plasic bag with chicken. Marinate 4-6 hours in the firg. When at the start of your grilling throw 6 whole star of anise on the hot coals for smoke. When the smoke subsides, throw 6 more on. Wonderful aroma and very exotic.
    Mediterranean marinade- Squeeze the juice of two lemons and then chop the rind. Add this to the prepared chicken in a plastic bag. Sprinkle in Greek or Italian seasoning, about a generous tablespoon, and turn the bag to get everything mixed. Marinate 4 hours in frig. Discard marinade and grill chicken with a little pecan smoke.
    Go to www.nakedwhiz.com for spatchcock instructions.
    Good luck!
    Clay

• kjed
    Clay Q,[p]The Mediterranean marinade sounds like the one for me. I'll probably buy a small chicken or cornish game hen to test before the day of the party, just to make sure it's something everyone will enjoy...[p]Thanks![p]kjed
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    kjed,[p]Ever tried this one........marinate about 4-6 hours. Add a little dizzy pig swamp vennom for a kick.[p]EL POLLO LOCO
    1 chicken, cut into pieces (leave skin on)
    1/3 C. lemon juice
    1/3 C. lime juice
    1/3 C. canola or vegetable oil
    1 tsp. ground turmeric
    1/2 tsp. garlic salt
    1/4 tsp. black pepper[p]

• kjed
    bigarms,[p]That sounds awesome - could I keep the chicken whole, and roast it upright, or spatchcock it? Is there a reason you cut it into pieces?[p]Thanks!
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    kjed,[p]I usually do half chickens and hind quarters......the reason for smaller pieces is in ease of marinating. If you want to use a larger pot and extra marinade....then go for it.......I might try that next time.....thanks