Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you think about my crack?

Options
jay75
jay75 Posts: 153
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

Well I was cooking pizza tonight and towards the end of the cook I heard a loud clunk, immediately I knew something wasn't right and started to inspect my egg for signs of damage, eventually I found this and felt just a little sick...

I know it doesn't look very dramatic, i've seen a lot worse but it's still a crack. I'm waiting for it to cool down enough to clear it out and see if it is any worse inside. I just checked it again and now it's out the crack is almost invisible, however it is there, how bad could this really be? will I be ok to cook on it? Is it warranty covered? quess i'm a bit gutted.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    If you are under warranty get replaced.  Does not look real bad, but definately check the inside when it is cool.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It's ok to cook on and it's totally covered under warranty as long as you are the original owner, bought it from an authorized dealer, and haven't made any mods that would void your warranty.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jay75
    Options
    It's ok to cook on and it's totally covered under warranty as long as you are the original owner, bought it from an authorized dealer, and haven't made any mods that would void your warranty.

I bought it from the UK dealer and I haven't used anything other than BGE extras, no mods.

Good to hear it's covered.

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    Definitely under warranty...get a new base and put it on the shelf while continuing to use the old one until its unusable.   B-)
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Looks like you have moisture under the egg. I'm not sure it that is what caused it but when you get it replaced under warranty you might want to address that. I would be careful during high temp cooks until you do get a replacement.
  • jay75
    Options
    Looks like you have moisture under the egg. I'm not sure it that is what caused it but when you get it replaced under warranty you might want to address that. I would be careful during high temp cooks until you do get a replacement.
    Yea that's moisture, we've had a fair bit of rain the last couple of weeks and my egg sits out in it all, I would hope a bit of water under the base wouldn't cause enough thermal shock to break egg ceramic though?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    free base. Happened twice to me.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yea that's moisture, we've had a fair bit of rain the last couple of weeks and my egg sits out in it all, I would hope a bit of water under the base wouldn't cause enough thermal shock to break egg ceramic though?

it would not normally.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX