Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened Blue (bleu) Burgers

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]Yesterday Mr. Toad posted about outhouse to penthouse and Cat chimed in about how she was going to try Blue Cheese on burgers. Well, it got me thinking (and hungry) so I decided to try an old standby that I haven't done in awhile, blackened blue burgers - just did them for lunch today in fact. I have some good blackening seasoning that I got out of a Paul Prudholm cookbook that I use and I sprinkle the burgers with it, not TOO heavy but get them coated. Good thick burgers. I then get some good blue cheese (Stilton is awesome for this). Cook the burgers as normal, seared and dwelled, and at the end after removing from the grill, top with a generous quantity of blue cheese and put whatever toppings on them that you like. Easy shmeezy, and quite yummy. Interesting mix of flavors. Thanks to Cat and Mr. Toad for the trip back down memory lane, todays lunch was great as a result.[p]Troy

Comments

• Grillin' Bill
    Options
    sprinter,
    Try cooking burgers as you described but put the cheese inside the burger before you cook it. Its great that way!![p]Grillin Bill

• sprinter
    Options
    Grillin Bill,[p]I've done that too. It used to be impossible on the regular charcoal grill for me as the cheese would melt out of the burgers before the meat was done. Couldn't find a way to cook the meat and still have any cheese left between the meat. The searing/dwell on the egg is perfect, nice melted cheese and perfectly cooked meat. I love egg burgers, probably could live on them if it werent for Pulled pork, pizza, calzones, steaks, brisket..........[p]Troy
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    sprinter,
    One of the shows on the Food Channel suggested putting an ice-chip in the center of the burger to keep it moist while grilling. Since we do not have to worry about keeping the meat moist, maybe it could keep the cheese cool enough just long enough.[p]Just a thought,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• sprinter
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Interesting idea. I've found that with the sear and dwell method on the egg the cheese is kept inside the burger so the ice chip isnt necessary. I still like my cheese on the outside of the burger though, call me old fashioned. What is good though is to freeze butter, I sometimes melt it, put some fresh herbs with it, then freeze it again. Take pats of this and throw it on the top of steaks or burgers as soon as you take them off the grill and let it melt on the meat. Man, thats tasty. I've tried to put this in the burger like the cheese also, works just as well. The herb butter really adds a nice flavor to burgers.[p]Troy
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p] Funny you should mention this. The Washington Post has live chats (well, almost live -- they're heavily moderated) during the week, and on Tuesdays, there's one on cooking. Someone wrote in and asked about the ice chip thing. If I recall, my published response was to quit buying 99% lean beef and to quit overcooking and mashing burgers. Some people will go to such lengths to get rid of every ounce of fat in their diets. Since I adopted Mr. Avocado, it's not something I like to think about . . .[p]MikeO[p]BTW, if you want to read a scary article, surf over the the Washington Post food section from this week's paper and read the article on the George Foreman appliance empire (home of the "if you can't mash it and fry it, it ain't worth cooking" culinary institute . . .).
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options
    sprinter,[p]next time with the burger - give red oak chips a try - that is the cat's meow

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large