Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Barbeques Galore brand lump

Badong
Badong Posts: 126
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
This is my 2nd bag of Barbeques Galore lump.  This one is mesquite but the first one was natural hardwood.  Burns well and the chunk sizes in the picture are pretty standard throughout the bag.  $17.95 for a 20 lbs. bag.

I'll get back to you on the taste of the mesquite.

Comments

• looks good but that is crazy expensive for mesquite lump. i pay $15 for 40lb at sams and our boutique grocery store here in TX sells their house brand for $14 for 20lb. if you end up liking the mesquite, you'll be able to find cheaper options out there which is a good thing. I like it so I use the cheap stuff but there is higher quality lump out there for sure. Mesquite is very ashy (I don't really care about that) and it can be sparky too (again, for $15 for 40lb, spark away). But I like the flavor and I love the price.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Badong
    Wow, I will definitely look for some cheaper retailers.
  • Wow, I will definitely look for some cheaper retailers.

where do you live?
  • Fort Worth

Cool. I'm in austin and work for a Ft Worth Company. Sams has Best of The West for $15 for 40lb. Not the best quality but 1/3 the price of most lump. I can overlook some flaws for that.

Central market does 100% mesquite lump for about $14 for 20lb and it's good quality.

Costco also does a good lump for $17 for 35lb

• Badong
    Cool.  Thanks!
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Have tried it. Blah..... Need I say more to express my opinion.
    Cookin in Texas
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Fort Worth

Cool. I'm in austin and work for a Ft Worth Company. Sams has Best of The West for $15 for 40lb. Not the best quality but 1/3 the price of most lump. I can overlook some flaws for that.

Central market does 100% mesquite lump for about $14 for 20lb and it's good quality.

Listen to Cen-Tex.  The only deviation I have is that I don't like the Mesquite flavor, so I've stopped buying the BOTW from Sam's but that is a personal preference.  I think the Costco hardwood (Original Charcoal Company) is an excellent bargain.  Just marginally more expensive than the BOTW and far, far better IMO.  In the past they have only carried it during the summer months, so if you like it for the price, I would stock up for the winter a little later.  I think last year they stopped carrying it around September-ish.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Fort Worth

Listen to Cen-Tex.  The only deviation I have is that I don't like the Mesquite flavor, so I've stopped buying the BOTW from Sam's but that is a personal preference.  I think the Costco hardwood (Original Charcoal Company) is an excellent bargain.  Just marginally more expensive than the BOTW and far, far better IMO.  In the past they have only carried it during the summer months, so if you like it for the price, I would stock up for the winter a little later.  I think last year they stopped carrying it around September-ish.

I liked the Costco Hardwood lump for the $ as well. I've used BOTW and Original Charcoal Co Hardwood. Both good for the $ but middle of the road compared to the $40 for 40lb lump that's out there