Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

How long will a 20lb bag last?

Mistick2Mistick2 Posts: 14
edited November -1 in Charcoal
How long will a 20lb bag of BGE Lump Charcoal last? I am confused, the dealer told me it would last 1-2 years??? But, in this forum I have seen postings that say they go thru up to 400 lbs! in a year??? (3 people in our house & I cook on BGE 4-5 times a week)Have had a large BGE for 2 1/2 weeks now. :huh:

Comments

• It sure isn't going to last that long!!! From what everyone else is saying (I'm new, too) I would be that you get a bag to last six weeks tops.
  • I know that my very first 20 lb bag lasted 16 cooks. That was mostly hamburgers, steaks, chops and such, which are obviously quick cooks. I think during those 16 cooks, I also smoked either 2 or 3 pork loins (about 4 lbs each) on separate occasions at 225-250.
  • NU2BBQNU2BBQ Posts: 98
    Well if you have been cooking for 2 1/2 weeks now see how much lump you have gone thru and calculate the remaining based on your usage.   I only cook on weekends with an occasional weeknight thrown in and I get about two months out of 22 lbs.  Some cooks are low and slow while others are in the 350-450 degree range.  I never worry about the amount of lump I use as the Egg is very efficient at conserving it vs. the alternatives (I know a guy that uses a bag of briquettes every time he cooks).   Burn time will vary based on the manufacturer.  Check out the Naked Whiz site and you will learn a lot about lump.
  • Amy S.Amy S. Posts: 70
    I guess, if you don't use it, it would last indefinitely. But, I can't imagine what the sales person was talking  about.  I would imagine that you are at least 1/2 way through your bag.
  • I cook about 5 to 6 times  a week and go thru about 2 bags (green egg) brand in every two to three weeks.
  • On 8# of Royal Oak lump charcoal, over 5 separate cooks of: 3-4 hr on
    slow cook chicken, 3-4 hr on slow cook meatloaf, Trex steak,
    pork
    tenderloin, chicken thighs, and last night tuna steaks. I must say I am
    very pleased with the Royal Oak. After each cook I shut the
    cooker down and reused whatever charcoal was left. At $6 and change a bag.
    Chesapeake, VA
  • BBQRandulBBQRandul Posts: 5

i dont pay attn to how a bag last any more, i buy up a inventory, 4 bags and up.

i clean out the coals seperating the smallest chunks, keeping the middle to big chuncks,and alway keep refilling.  i use the smaller peices for 26" weber.

i like to cook 220 deg. and slow, over nite, so i want good coals....

• it will vary depending on if you do long cooks, temp and if you put out fire and reuse.

i logged 72 hrs. of cooking on a 20 lb. bag of bge lump......combination of 4 slabs ribs 40 lbs of pork, 2 pizzas and 30 chicken breasts ohhh and had some salmon fillets one night.

• Pizza will use more since you go hotter. More temp, more energy. takes about 4lb to fill the large. Last a long time for hamburgers and other quick cooks. One good pizza cook and its done (will pretty much anyways). A rib cook usually uses up about 1/2 of the coal that went in.

Keep a couple bags on hand, give it a stir and top off if needed. Dont over think it. Spend that brain power on what rubs to try (LOL).