Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anyone use frontier lump

bigphil
bigphil Posts: 1,390
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
was at my local BJ's club they have 34 pound bag of frontier lump for 19.99 anyone ever try it ?
Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I used a bag of it once. It isn't anything to write home about, but I would use it in a pinch.
  • I have used it quite a few times.  Lowe's sells 20lb. bags here.  It seems to work fine and has decent size chunks.  It seems to be much "lighter" wood than the Wicked Good I recently purchased which is much heavier and denser.  It also produces a good amount of ash.  But that being said,  I have used it on a couple low and slows (16+ hours) and it performed fine.  So for the price, in my opinion, it is good lump.

• turok
    turok Posts: 28
    I saw that too and asked about it. I was told you tend to get a good bit of sparking and popping. If you cover it with some that doesn't. Do all that then its fine. I would have gotten some and tried it but I just bought 40# of cowboy lump. I haven't seen too much about it on here. Its okay so far. Sparks and pops at higher temps but it cooks.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    How is the flavor?
  • BBQBeerman
    BBQBeerman Posts: 62
    I bought a bag a few weeks ago nice size pieces of lump I have cooked ribs, chicken and burgers with it no problem with sparks and I use an electric starter to light. The only thing I do not like is at 34 lbs it's a big bag to carry from the shed to the deck of course it gets lighter each trip
    Life is short,love what you do or do something else
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    I picked up one bag when I ran out of Wicked Good and the Frontier was pretty good....I used it on a lot of high temp pizza and steaks and it performed great.   It seems to get up to temp very quickly but I also noticed the higher ash after I was done.   I would use it again if I run out of WG.