Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting an XL Egg Saturday. What do I need to know before my first cook?

BigDoug
BigDoug Posts: 9
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am really excited that I'm finally getting my first Egg. Since I do some catering I decided to go with the XL model. So I know that you have to do an initial burn in to set the seal. Other than that what do I need to do or know.

I have been Qing for a while with my Weber Smokey Mountain and a GoodOne Rodeo but am new to the Ceramic world. Really looking forward to the efficiency of the Egg and saving some money.

Just want to make sure I start off right.

Comments

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    I like this post, I'll be following the responses as well
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Let the lump go for a good while to get stable and heat the dome completely. 

The vast majority of the cook is with the dome closed.  It isn't working to its strengths with the dome open. 

You can regulate heat with both the top and bottom vents.  When up to temp I usually close the bottom to about 1 inch, and fine tune with the top.  You can even cook with the vents closed.

Before your first cook make sure the dome is aligned, or you risk frying the gasket where it leaks.  You will fry the gasket eventually anyway.  If you are getting it assembled, check anyway.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• BigDoug
    Thanks Doc! The shop I'm buying from is assembling it but I will make sure it is aligned properly,
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Thanks Doc! The shop I'm buying from is assembling it but I will make sure it is aligned properly,
    My XL was not, and I was not smart enough to check when I got it.  Leaks really contribute to killing the gasket.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    I'd recommend a remote thermometer to monitor grill temp vs dome temp.  Seems like the difference is greater in the XL than in other models.  My only other recommendation is to have a lot of meat ready to go, because that Beast can handle it!!!  Enjoy and congrats.  As a caterer, we expects big thins from you!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    It's not that different from what you're doing.  Probably the biggest difference is if you overshoot your temp in the egg, it takes a while to bring the temp down because the ceramic retains the heat.  You need to monitor it on the way up.  Once it is at temp, the weather has much less effect on it than your WSM.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Best decision you've ever made! We never go to restaurants anymore, so it paid for itself. We made a blog featuring some recipes like tandoori chicken, jerk chicken, artisan breads, pizza, ribs, etc. and You Tube has some great videos that we found very helpful. Here's our blog if you'd like some recipe ideas: www.beecavekitchen.blogspot.com

You are going to LOVE your BGE!!
  • BigDoug
    Thanks everyone. I have some extra Kingsford Charcoal laying around. Any reason that I shouldn't use the it to set the seal?

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Thanks everyone. I have some extra Kingsford Charcoal laying around. Any reason that I shouldn't use the it to set the seal?

Go ahead and use your new lump.  Have you decided how you are going to start your fire.  You know that lighter fluid is a big no for the BGE. Put your lump  in, then light it and you will be on your way.
  • Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67

Bye bye kingsford! Welcome to lump. You'll see what everyone is talking about.

• Thanks everyone. I have some extra Kingsford Charcoal laying around. Any reason that I shouldn't use the it to set the seal?

The "set the seal" thing is not really accurate. I used to be a staunch proponent of this theory but it's just not true. These gaskets are dicey and some come off and some hold. Hope yours holds but if not, there are ways to fix it. It's annoying, but not a deal killer. Onve you have a few meals off your new egg, you'll be willing to get the gasket right (shouldn't be your responsibility, but it is what it is at this point).

You can certainly burn kingsford if you want but I wouldn't cook over it. Don't waste a good cook on kingsford- use lump to cook

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BigDoug
    I would only use Charcoal to set the seal not to cook with. I use Wicked Lump unless I am using my Rodeo Smoker. It is a thirsty beast and too expensive to use only lump so I use a mix of both lump and Kingsford. However with my BGE I will only be cooking with Lump..
  • Got my XL about a week ago. Did the gasket burn in stuff, and have been trying out various brands of lump. After playing with the lump for a while, I'd never go back to the Kingsford stuff...
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    I think a good beverage will help also.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.