Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Needs Help

Options
GrillMan
GrillMan Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been cooking direct on my new large egg for about a week now with good results. I thought it was time to try some other things so I went out and bought a platesetter, pizza stone, vertical rack, turkey setter and chicken setter. I guess I'm hooked! I'm not sure how to use some of the items.Here are my questions.
1) Do I use the plate setter with the legs up or down? Which way in which situations?
2) Do I use the platesetter with the pizza stone?
3) Can I bake bread and rolls from scratch on the pizza stone?
4) Do I use the platesetter with the chicken or turkey setter?
Everyone says to throw the book away and ask here, so I'm asking.
Thanks in advance for the help. John

Comments

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    teach31,[p]I can answer one question for sure -- yes, you can bake from scratch. I have a pizza stone, and I use it for bread -- it is great and easy. Use the Egg just like an oven. Preheat it and the stone to 400 and put your bread in.
  • GrillMan
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    Thanks professor. I promised my wife I would make her some whole wheat rolls when I bought the egg. I'll try them on Thursday.

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    teach31,
    1)Legs up to hold the drip pan and cook indirect.
    2)Legs down for indirect pizza ... works just like a stone. I don't have a stone and just put the pizza on the setter. Put it in just a few minutes before the pizza or you will end up with a burned crust and mushy toppings.
    3) I make my own pizza dough ... so yeah.
    4) Yes, use the platesetter legs up with a chicken stand and a drip pan or fashion a drip pan from foil.[p]The platesetters are awesome. Be carefull when you set them down ... they do break if they fall over.
    Doug

• Grillicious
    Grillicious Posts: 347
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]If you have been using the plate setter for indirect cooks, meaning legs up with drip pan and grill on top of legs, you will find the top of the plate setter (or the bottom in this case since it is legs up) will get very black from smoke. You will need to clean it before baking anything on it. I went by my local egg dealer one Saturday when they had the egg fired up to bake cookies. I walked in and broke out laughing because their lips were black. Guess what they forgot to do? But the cookies were still great!
  • AndyBoy
    AndyBoy Posts: 11
    Options
    teach31,[p]I uses a KitchenAide mixer for my pizza dough and it is made as follows:[p]1 package dry yeast
    1/3 cup rye flour
    1 cup warm water
    3 cups flour (1/2 all purpose, 1/2 bread flour)
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1 tbls kosher salt
    1 tbls extra virgin olive oil[p]Mix water, rye flour, sugar and yeast and let proof 5 minutes. With dough hook on very slow add flour, salt, olive oil. Knead 10-12 minutes.[p]Do 2 rises about 1-1 1/2 hours each and your will have a great pizza dough. You might have to adjust the flour a little to get the right consistence in dough. If you want my tomato sauce I will be glad to give you that also. Enjoy your egg.

• GrillMan
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    Thanks for the plate setter tips. I'll try things out. John

• Unknown
    Options
    AndyBoy,[p]Ya, I want your tomato sauce. [p]Just curious - does the rye flour give it a rye taste or do you include that for others reasons?
  • Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    Options
    teach31,
    I used a platesetter (legs-up) for a whole turkey, but I usually do not use a platesetter when vertically roasting chickens. I haven't tried a vertical roast on a turkey or turkey breast yet, so I can't help you there. [p]I always pre-heat my baking stone for pizzas, and usually end up with perfectly crispy crust, cooking between 500 & 550 :~)