Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Son in law of the year award?

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Headed off to deliver as we speak.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    That's awesome. You should talk to my father in law and get him on board!
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Very nice!

Is that Ozark Oak a good charcoal? I can't get Wicked Good anywhere in Dallas, so I figured I'd go with Royal Oak - but I'm seeing the Ozark Oak at all the local dealers.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Yep, you win.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Great gift-and inside is one of your famous briskets and bottle of bourbon-you have accumulated points for quite a while :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JW- it's very, very good. I normally use Best of the West because it's $15 for 40lb. But there is no doubt that this is better.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Very nice! Is that Ozark Oak a good charcoal? I can't get Wicked Good anywhere in Dallas, so I figured I'd go with Royal Oak - but I'm seeing the Ozark Oak at all the local dealers.

Try your local ACE hardware, if they don't stock - they can order from the warehouse.  The one in Coppell has it.
    Cookin in Texas
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    As long as he didn't decide to go vegan today you should be alright.
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Definitely, you get the award.
  • lousubcap
    @ JW-just cooked on it for the first time last weekend (F Day present to me) and it is quite good. Imparts a stronger oak flavor than RO.  I'm a Wicked Good fan for long duration low&slows as I don't think you can beat it for the density and duration.  You may explore shipping in the WG just to give it a go.    But pro's and con's about lump are like opinions...and we all know what those are worth!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Great gift-and inside is one of your famous briskets and bottle of bourbon-you have accumulated points for quite a while :)>-
    Give a man a brisket, feed him for a day, teach a man to cook a brisket....well you get the idea. Lessons begin this afternoon.

• Great gift-and inside is one of your famous briskets and bottle of bourbon-you have accumulated points for quite a while :)>-
    Give a man a brisket, feed him for a day, teach a man to cook a brisket....well you get the idea. Lessons begin this afternoon.

And the bourbon is for me. He's a little scattered and I'll need my patience
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    What a son you are. What bourbon are you drinking today? Do you have a Spec's Liquor store near you? They have great deals on liquor (if you know what you are looking at). I just picked up a 1.75 of Bulleit for $38 bucks. My nearest liquor store wanted $58 for the same bottle! Maker's Mark was $37 for the big bottle. Alas, my Turkey was the same price as normal, so I'm expanding my horizons.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• lousubcap
    Bulleit is a great bourbon for the price-you have to crank up the $$ before you will find a better taste. Enjoy-I won't be on the bourbon train til later this evening....
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Bulleit is a great bourbon for the price-you have to crank up the $$ before you will find a better taste. Enjoy-I won't be on the bourbon train til later this evening....
    I think another good bang for your buck bottle is Eagle Rare 10yr.  That would be my go to bourbon.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431

My sisters and I chipped in and got my parents a loaded medium BGE for Christmas last year.  Here is a shot of my dad on christmas morning right after the surpise, they love it!  It is such as great gift because it instantly connects you into a new world and conversations about favorite cooks, new eggsceroies, "best practices", etc. etc. . . . best gift ever for a family! 

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    I think another good bang for your buck bottle is Eagle Rare 10yr.  That would be my go to bourbon.
    Couldn't agree more.  I have been meaning to post that for a couple of weeks now with all of the bourbon threads popping up.  It runs $25-30 per bottle and is pretty darn good.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Sorry Cen-tex, I can't help myself.

Have any sisters?
    Id like to help you earn bother in-law of the year!
    :D
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Hey griff- we have 2 specks close by but there is another spot that is actually better down here. Twin Liquors. They give big discounts if you buy 2 of anything which (shocking, I know) is not a stretch for me.

Good greif this has turned out to be be more of a challenge than I thought. He's
    Overwhelmed by it all and won't get off the couch to let me Teach him anything. Just keeps saying "i got it, dont worry about it". All I can think of is him lying on the ground with a broken hip and his eyebrows singed off. MIL is of no help either. This might not end well.
  • Do I see a plan unfolding here?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I gave my parents a medium for their retirement gift. They picked it up on their way from Florida to their place in Arkansas. They ended up leaving the medium there and bought a large for their house in Florida. Definetly a good family gift as we talk all the time about new cooks etc..
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I think you should just take it home if they don't appreciate it. Or send it cross country to a good home. :D

Seriously, best of luck. I know your pain.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • lousubcap
    @ Cen-Tex; surely you had indications that this would be extremely well received or perhaps LS is on to the whole game plan...I'm sure your in-laws have enjoyed the results of your BGE cooks but as you well know it takes some work to get to the "set and forget" long-duration cooks.  And maybe your F-I-L hasn't figured out the side benefit of being able to escape to "tend to the BGE" with an adult beverage and doing nothing but enjoying the space...all in good time I'm sure.  Bourbon train departs in a couple of hours-don't be late :)>-
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    If I had a daughter - I would want her to grow up and marry a guy like Cen-tex   ---  I think...  LOL
    Cookin in Texas
  • Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    What a gift!! What a father in law!! Now Yoda can teach young Jedi about life. BTW Cen-Tex, I'm putting in a pool next week so looking for some good drunken watermelon to float.
  • @ Cen-Tex; surely you had indications that this would be extremely well received or perhaps LS is on to the whole game plan...I'm sure your in-laws have enjoyed the results of your BGE cooks but as you well know it takes some work to get to the "set and forget" long-duration cooks.  And maybe your F-I-L hasn't figured out the side benefit of being able to escape to "tend to the BGE" with an adult beverage and doing nothing but enjoying the space...all in good time I'm sure.  Bourbon train departs in a couple of hours-don't be late :)>-
    Oh he hounded us for it so I didn't just pull this out of the air. I'll have to come back out a few times to get him going. He is a mess and it was just too much for him to take in 1 visit. I cooked everything while he watched golf :).
  • What a gift!! What a father in law!! Now Yoda can teach young Jedi about life. BTW Cen-Tex, I'm putting in a pool next week so looking for some good drunken watermelon to float.
    That is a slippery slope my friend. Just be careful who you play with and pour every third shot over your shoulder :))

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    The Cen-Tex Smoker you win CT hands down and it won't even be a contest.  Going to delight you ML also.
  • If I had a daughter - I would want her to grow up and marry a guy like Cen-tex   ---  I think...  LOL
    Good God man. No. Buy your own damn egg.  it would be way cheaper and you would sleep much better at night knowing your daughter is with someone of high moral fiber and undeniable integrity. 

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Nice!
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • @ Cen-Tex; surely you had indications that this would be extremely well received or perhaps LS is on to the whole game plan...I'm sure your in-laws have enjoyed the results of your BGE cooks but as you well know it takes some work to get to the "set and forget" long-duration cooks.  And maybe your F-I-L hasn't figured out the side benefit of being able to escape to "tend to the BGE" with an adult beverage and doing nothing but enjoying the space...all in good time I'm sure.  Bourbon train departs in a couple of hours-don't be late :)>-
    Oh he hounded us for it so I didn't just pull this out of the air. I'll have to come back out a few times to get him going. He is a mess and it was just too much for him to take in 1 visit. I cooked everything while he watched golf :).
    Says he's going to do a brisket tomorrow night. Just kept asking me "how long"? I said "it doesn't work that way". I gave him my old E72 and he wouldn't even look at it.  "Just tell me how long the damn thing takes". Oh boy. I can tell my phone is going to be ringing off the wall at 2:30 am Sunday morning...."my fire's out.....is my meat ruined?........what is the damn thing you bought for me?.....I'm going back to my Brinkman.....I can't believe you pad$1200 bucks for this POS. Good times

Oh well, Like LS and others have alluded to up top, Might be getting a new large here in the next few months