Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moisture in Egg

jeeplvr
jeeplvr Posts: 4
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Curious if anybody else ran into this.  I have found quite a bit of moisture in my egg when I open it.  I have a feeling it's due to the high humidity weather but I get mold growing inside from it.  What I normally do after a cook is put the daisy wheel and plate setter inside the egg, close the vent, put the ceramic top on, and let it cool down.  Just to let you know I do clean off the grid and plate setter, and let the egg burn somewhat hot before cooking.  Not sure if I should just crack open the lid a bit to let air circulate.  Thanx for your help.

Comments

• ducksbuddy
    ducksbuddy Posts: 56
    i have noticed a little in mine also, just a little damp im thinking during the day when it heats up and then cools down at nite if you have a really good gasket on there like mine no air is going to really escape natural condensation i think, especially if i have the cover on it, im going to try and leave the vents open a little on it aand see if that changes anything,
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Even more moisture than condensation...

I know probably not a good thing - but there have been times when I forgot to put the ceramic cap on, then it rains and water gets in through the daisy wheel.   Went out the other night, left over charcoal was a bit damp.

I pushed the left over up around the edges, poured new dry charcoal in the center and started the fire.

I did keep the heat low for a longer period of time - 250-280 range for about an hour.   Thought the low heat would dry out in the inside of the egg and the damp charcoal.   Maybe I was over cautious, didn't want to hit high heat right off the bat.

Not the first time that has happened - no apparent problems or concerns that I can see.

Cookin in Texas
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    There is a guy here that has a weekend only egg, and has mentioned his experience with this. I forget who it is, but to use egg on Saturday they run it overnight starting Friday. That amount of time isn't a set in stone, but it is an example that it does happen.
  • Dust9000
    Dust9000 Posts: 26

After the fire is out, I open the vent at the bottom, with the screen closed.  Keeps bugs out.     This has cured my issues with mold, since it is hot and humid in houston. I use mine on the weekends only really. 

• mtredfish
    mtredfish Posts: 4
    Slap a damp rid bucket on the grate when storing, if you have it covered it will always collect humidity in southern climates (especially). I have tried keeping the bottom vent open and same results.

Buckets are cheap and last a while.

Mike