Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Hints on Table Building

Options
jeeplvr
jeeplvr Posts: 4
edited June 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I have a medium egg on a nest that would put a contortionist to shame when rolling across a brick patio.  Not to mention 3 big dogs that like to play around my egg.  This inspired me to build a table using Whiz's pattern.  I am not a professional egg table builder by far.  I only had a circular saw to cut with so some cuts are not straight.  Right now I have the frame done and some hints for newbies wanting to build a table.
  1. Do it, It's a challenge, you will make mistakes, cuts will not be perfect, but you built it and should be proud.  Anyone points out your mistakes doesn't get BBQ, period.
  2. I went to a lumber yard to get my wood.  Got a guy who estimates for contractors.  Took my material list and gave me exactly what I needed and figured out the most economical way.  I then added another 8 footer for my mistakes.
  3. I changed the dimensions.  Measure it up to a table and make sure your ok with the height and size.  I raised mine to kitchen counter height just cause I like that height.  Make sure you can get in your egg ok at the new height or size. 
  4. Measure twice, cut once.  Or in my case, measure twice, look at plans, think about it, measure again, look at plans, cut.  Thinking is the most important part.
  5. Take your time on the frame.  When I built my house the contractor bragged about how he has the best foundation people.  He was right, if the foundation is solid so is the house.  Put the time in on the frame.  A square became my best friend.  I squared everything, no guess work.  A square frame should make things easier as I go along.
  6. Drill.  I starting by drilling all holes then got lazy.  I did good for about 5 screws and then split a piece.  Drill holes for the screws.  I found they don't go through very well when you hit a know either but drilling fixes that.
  7. I found cutting all pieces to size first helped.  I could then put everything together to see how they fit before permanently fastening.  Also I could pick the nice boards for the areas seen and the not so nice for inside.
  8. Read this forum.  I cannot emphasize the good information and ideas on this forum.  
That's it for now and I will post a picture when done. Sorry if it's long but I don't want people to be discouraged by the fancy tables and great jobs.  Have fun, it's your table.

Comments