Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic Grill Store Products

Options
Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a few quick questions to help me know what I need to order. I want to accomplish 3 goals with a single purchase. 1) I want to be able to drop down near the coals with a cast iron grate for near-coal searing. I have a small cast iron great I've been dropping directly on the coals to sear steaks. 2) I also want to be able to use a wok on my egg. 3) I want to be able to cook direct raised grid, especially for cooking skin-on chicken.

It looks like buying a spider and a wok would be sufficient. Their site mentions that the spider can be flipped upside down to raise the grate to the felt line. I'm not sure how stable this would be, though, with a few lbs of chicken on it. I could also buy the Woo, but it costs more and I don't need to be able to use my leae setter in it. If that's the only way to accomplish all of my goals, I'll just spend the money. But, their site also says that a wok "can" be used with the Woo3, but it's " not recommended". Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• NewEnglandEgger
    Options
    I use a spider from the Ceramic Grill Store for exactly what you are describing.  I have a Large BGE.  I have not had any issues with the stability of the grate when doing raised direct.  

I also use the spider with my wok. Works great.  WIth a small BGE Cast Iron grate, you can easily sear with the Spider as well. 
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options

I have the adjustable rig.  It was more pricey, but i can do raised (direct and indirect), multiple level cooks (direct and indirect) and lower the level. 

I got the adjustable rig with the spider and then bought a stone to use as indirect.  The only downside is that my plate setter is not compatible with the rig.

• chill243
    chill243 Posts: 131
    Options
    Mayberry, you took the words out of my mouth!  Actually I emailed the Ceramic Grill store to ask for their suggestion. (It might as well been me to post this LOL)
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options

I have the adjustable rig.  It was more pricey, but i can do raised (direct and indirect), multiple level cooks (direct and indirect) and lower the level. 

I got the adjustable rig with the spider and then bought a stone to use as indirect.  The only downside is that my plate setter is not compatible with the rig.

I'm the same
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. From what I'm seeing, the only added benefit to the adjustable rig over the spider is the ability to do raised indirect, and multi-layer direct cooks, not all the way at the bottom ring. If that's the case, the Spider will satisfy my needs perfectly, as long as you can invert it and cook raised direct on it.

One more question....has anyone here purchased the Wok from the Ceramic Grill Store? Is it good quality and does it last? It's a very good price.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    The adjustable rig gives you a lot more than that. Pizzas high in the dome at high temps, chicken direct without scorching and a lot of other tricks too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• carbajc8
    carbajc8 Posts: 7
    Options
    Not to mention if you don't already have a platesetter, you don't really need one if you have the adjustable rig with the stone (the "customer combo").  I went this route instead of a platesetter and have been very happy.
  • PanzerOfDoom
    Options
    Just ordered an adjustable rig(customer combo). Ordered and shipped the same day, gets here.........today.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I have the wok from the CGS and love it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    My parents love their wok from CGS and I love my wok from THE WOK STORE - both seem very popular choices for bge . .
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”