Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

35lb whole piglet

OttersryleeOttersrylee Posts: 8
edited June 2012 in Pork

I have a 35lb piglet to cook on Fathers day on my BGE XL, I have a plate setter. I was going to leave the skin on, put a rub on it, place it over the plate setter with a pan of water under the pig, set my temp for about 200F. Does anyone have any thoughts or expereance with a whole piglet? 

Thanks and everyone enjoy their weekend. 

·

Comments

• onelikearockonelikearock Posts: 115
    Good ol Carolina pig no rub temperature 225 skin gets nice and crisply. Brush with Carolina style sauce :butter vinegar and hot sauce after you turn the pig over.
    Chesapeake, VA
    ·
  • MikeP624MikeP624 Posts: 292
    35lbs at 225 - won't that take forever?
    ·
  • GA_DawgsGA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    edited June 2012

No experience, but making an educated guess.  There is a much larger surface area, and the meat is not as thick.  In addition, there are more bones that will transfer heat throughout so it probably won't take much longer than a large butt or whole shoulder would. 

Once again, no experience just a guess. I'm sure there will be more experienced people weighing in soon. 

At any rate, enjoy! It should be a great experience and good grub!

·
  • I've not yet put one on a BGE but we roast a pig every year in the fall. Usually 150-200 pounds and we have a pit. It takes a few days though. I'm wanting to do one like what you're doing though. Let me know how it turns out and give me some tips. Thinkin about abandoning the pit for the BGE!
    ·
  • centex99centex99 Posts: 231
    any pics of process/end results/etc?  Also, how was it?
    ·