Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sear Hamburgers?

mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,752
edited June 2012 in Beef
Im wanting to know if any of you have seared hamburgers before? I have 1/4 pound turkey burgers and im wanting to see if searing would be a good option for it.  If so how many minutes for "done"(poultry)

Thanks
·

Comments

• i did last night with a grate set right on the lump bed. use your thermapen if you have one to check for doneness. It's just going to depend on how hot your fire is and how close you are to it when you sear.

·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    i dunno anyone who doesn't sear burgers, honestly.  as C~T says, it's a function of how big the fire is and how close you are to it.  but even 300-400 (last ones i did wer at 400) is still searing, when direct.

just treat them like regular brugers.  don't poke prod flipflipflip flatten press.  turn them only when they are ready to flip (they come free easily), and use a thermiometer, not a clock.  can't cook anything to time except a three minute egg.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,308
    i dunno anyone who doesn't sear burgers, honestly.  as C~T says, it's a function of how big the fire is and how close you are to it.  but even 300-400 (last ones i did wer at 400) is still searing, when direct.

just treat them like regular brugers.  don't poke prod flipflipflip flatten press.  turn them only when they are ready to flip (they come free easily), and use a thermiometer, not a clock.  can't cook anything to time except a three minute egg.
    i gave up on the therm too, you just know when the burgers done just by the way the juices flow
    ·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,752
    alrighty ill give this a try. Im gonna do the Cen-Tex way and put the grate on the lump bed
    ·
    remember.  cen-tex doesn't own a BGE.  he just answers questions randomly for an hour or so a day while the prison computer is available.
    ;))
    ·
    If i were him i would be ordering soap with a rope
    ·
  • I don't even know what an egg is. I spend most of my time walking with my back to the wall and trying not to get shanked. This is the site that "Big Al" (my "room mate") says I'm allowed to look at. Please help me.

·
  • I think Big Al was a chef and wants to teach me how to cook. He told me he's going to teach me to "toss the salad" tonight. Guess you have to start somewhere. .

·
    i thought you WORKED in a prison.  sorry man!

·
  • O
    i thought you WORKED in a prison.  sorry man!

Oh i work everyday. Big Al demands a clean cell and as the warden likes to say "this thing ain't gonna polish itself" so I stay pretty busy.

·
  • Ok. Hijack over. Back to the burgers. I am in a meeting an I'm getting funny looks.

·
    @MDB: how'd they turn out?
    ·
  • I'm doing turkey burgers tomorrow as well. I wasn't gonna put the grate down on the lump was just gonna leave the plate setter out. I have the XL. I'm thinking about 400 degrees should do. I wish my cast iron grate were in. Have to use the stainless still til next week.
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,799
    @ mountaindewbass, don't forget to post some pics of the new grill. R U liking the mini??
    ·
    Ohhh yeah little dood rocks. I just ordered the mini woo.. Which would solve many issues.

·