Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

New EGGer!

RichtermedicRichtermedic Posts: 49
edited June 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Just ordered the XL baby yesterday. Got the plate setter and cast iron grates. Will be delivered as soon as I build the table. Trying to decide on which wood to use. Thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• yellowdogbbqyellowdogbbq Posts: 269
    Check with your local lumbar yard and see what they have that is good for exterior projects like cedar, red wood, white oak, ext. (it varies depending where you live).   I would stay away from pressure treated, don't like it being used around food. 
  • Good point about pressure treated around food. That's the way the wife is wanting to go since the grill was so expensive. I'm anxious to get this table done so my baby can come home and I start using it.
  • I ended up going with the pressure treated. Chose 4x4's for the legs. Got going last night on it and Lowe;s gave me all wrong hardware. Had to make second trip. Started again today after getting a late start and 20 minutes into working hit a rain delay. Have a bunch of barn wood being given to me though so I will be incorporating that as well. Have to go back to work tomorrow so won't be able to actually cook until Wednesday at the soonest.... still wondering what will be first.
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    Don't wait for the table till you cook! Mines sat on a paver on the deck waiting for me to build its home...
    Lynnwood WA
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,102
    Congrats on the egg purchase. Follow double's advice and start egging.  Good luck with the table.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
  • I went ahead and built the table. I waited for the egg to be delivered because we have some big dogs, and I didn't want to risk it getting knocked over. Which was likely. The table is done and the egg has hatched as of about 30 minutes ago. I'm working on what to cook tonight and watching videos of how to get it lit and going. Looks like hamburgers, hot dogs, potatoes, corn, and such tonight. Didn't come with any kind of instruction manual for lighting or how hot to cook anything so I'm researching right now. ALso the cast iron grate won't be in till next week. Not waiting for that though.