Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egger

Bibby
Bibby Posts: 3
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
After looking at BGE for several years, I bought my husband an XL for father's day. PROBLEM: no instructions. I have bge charcoal, starters and plate setter. What do we cook first below the recommended 350 degrees for first time use? Suggestions highly appreciated.

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited June 2012
    The first suggestion is usually spatchcock chicken.
    for us we made a pork loin roast.
    Besides this forum. Google naked whiz. Tons of great info there.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Bibby, follow this link grandpas knows:
    Very helpful info.  
    As taz says,  chicken is good first cook cause you will learn temp control and vent positions.  Unless you char the chicken to obliteration, it will taste good.  
    Just remember let the lump burn until there is no more smoke and it has no smell before adding your food to the grill (about 20 minutes).  
    Welcome and remember no pictures, cook didn't happen  :-)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Welcome aboard! You are gonna love it. Seems like most start with chicken of some sort. Cheap and hard to screw up. My first cook was chicken thighs I do believe. Just went back and looked...chicken thighs and creamed spinach.image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Welcome to the forum. Some great info on here.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • tazcrash
    Just remember let the lump burn until there is no more smoke and it has no smell before adding your food to the grill (about 20 minutes).  
    Welcome and remember no pictures, cook didn't happen  :-)
    Great point. If I can quote another concerning smoke:
    "If it smells good, it'll taste good." 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Bibby
    Thanks for the advice. Chicken it is!
  • Smoker_J
    Smoker_J Posts: 2
    Bibby,

I am new as well and my wife got us a Large for Fathers day. So far it is awesome, and this forum is great as well. So many helpful eggheads. For my first cook I did the fish pot pie that was on the site from DrBBQ. But instead of red fish I used catfish and it came out really tasty. Enjoy the EGG!

• FWIW, I'd go w/ something simple (ie, burgers) - reason being, if you've never used this type of a girll b4, then there's a bit of a learning curve for controlling the temp. 

Because of that, you don't wanna add too many variables into the mix... use the K.I.S.S. method ...

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • tazcrash
    One other thing to avoid (from experience),
    Take your time to get coals lit well.
    I was rushed, and we had a little nasty smoke flavor because I dumped the bag in, and didn't really let it burn off enough.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Bibby
    Good advice everyone. I'm about to crank it up!
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Best advice I got from this forum? It is faster to raise the temp than drop it. Light 'er up wide open. When about 30F from your goal, start closing the low vent and daisy wheel. You might go over a bit, but nudge it closed/open and you will get the feel of it quickly. Have fun!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Bibby
    Cookbook Chip you were so right. We are having trouble keeping it at 350
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    edited June 2012

Don't get too worked up about the 350 thing.    If doing chicken keep it close.    I have found this thread a good visual guide to help me with temps.   Current weather make it different at times but it gets me in the ball park.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/746823/x/p1

Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Best advice I got from this forum? It is faster to raise the temp than drop it. Light 'er up wide open. When about 30F from your goal, start closing the low vent and daisy wheel. You might go over a bit, but nudge it closed/open and you will get the feel of it quickly. Have fun!

Agreed. I made that mistake until the eggheads here learned me better.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • tazcrash
    Please remember this isn't an exact instrument, but don't tell the food. It won't care about temp +/-20 temp fluctuations.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • We find soaking a chunk of pecan wood in water for a few hours before doing a spatchcock makes it taste amazing. Add the chip after you've gotten the temp just right to the top of the charcoal.
  • Bee Cave TX?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99

what I have found is:  No matter what you cook, and whatever form of wood you want to use (chips, chunks) for smoke, as well as whatever flavour of wood you choose, the food will taste great. 

Most of us have bbq'ed for years in one way or another and have found ways to achieve perfection.  To me the egg is very forgiving, (+ - 10-30) degrees and will (for me) provide outstanding results in most cases on whatever I try.

Yes I had issues at the start, but with the help from this forum (which I appreciate very much) I have had many enjoyable meals and alot more to come. (with pics soon)

• brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99

To add to this.. I have cooked hamburgers on the egg direct and indirect, and as well at temps ranging from 250 to 500 degrees,  abt's at 300 to 400 degrees, steaks at 675 degrees for 7 min 15 seconds to perfection.  you will learn ways to perfection by trial and error.   It's all fun!!!!

• cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    I got one the week before fathers day. I did hamburgers and chicken wings the first day. Turned out great. Lots of good information on this forum. I want to cook on it every day. Try making ABT's next. Recipes are all over the web. I did this weekend. I withheld the meaning of ABT until after they were sampled at the party we went to this weekend. Everyone loved them. Good luck and Happy Egging. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• We bought our LGE the weekend of Fathers Day but had an issue that the dealer resolved.  Just got back from a weeks vacation and it is raining, thanks TS Debbie!!  Now it sits in the garage waiting to get fired up.  Trying to decide what to cook first.  I like the K.I.S.S idea.