Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad Egg? Warranty Claim?

DaButtMan
DaButtMan Posts: 6
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have been noticing drip marks on my egg lately after cooking and most of the marks do not start at the top of the egg.  The only logical explanation to me is that my egg has very small cracks in it and grease and other liquids are seeping out during my cooks.  I did not think this was possible but after my cook last night, I see no other explanation.  Has anyone ever seen this?  Any other ideas?

Comments

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I figure beings you are DaButtMan you cook a lot of butts. Do you use a drip pan? My guess would be no you don't.
  • DaButtMan
    Yes, I use a drip pan every time I cook.  That being said, there are times when I cook 6 butts.  When you cook 6 butts, it is hard to catch everything.  I still do not think the egg should be doing this.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Wow! @-)
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    That is nasty.  Mine has done that to a much smaller degree but nothing like that.  Happens when I get it really hot +600.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    looks contagious.
  • DaButtMan
    I am going to call the local dealer here tomorrow and check into what they say.  I was just curious if anyone had seen anything like this before.  I let all the coals burn last night so that I could clean the egg out.  I am not sure hot hot it got but I woke up to a very ugly egg this morning.
  • I've seen it on here but not to that degree of nastyness. they guys was doing butts with no drip pan. It gets in the pores of the egg and sweats out. Not saying you don't have cracks, but they other guy did not
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Normal. You have lots of rain lately?

Comes out thru the cracks (crazing) in the ceramic, which are also normal
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    looks contagious.
    :))
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    Yes, I use a drip pan every time I cook.  That being said, there are times when I cook 6 butts.  When you cook 6 butts, it is hard to catch everything.  I still do not think the egg should be doing this.
    I'd hate to see the inside of that thing.  Sounds nasty.
  • stike
    edited June 2012
    tryna tellya, dabuttman, it is totally normal. that will happen to everyone, eventually. 
    you had a very wet egg, i'd bet anything on it.

that water needs to go somewhere when it is heated and expands.  gets pushed outward, and carries any fats with it.

the egg is SUPPOSED to have a cracked crazed surface eventually.  it is covered in what is essentially glass, and heating and cooling causes the (totally normal) cracks in the surface.  the water, needing a way out as it expands, finds daylight thru the cracks.  and there you are.

it will happen with a very hot fire, after a period of damp or rain and infrequent use.

it is not a warranty issue.  this is a relatively common question.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

A friend of mine bought a used egg and it had sat outside uncovered and you could feel the humidity in it. We cleaned it out and did a clean burn and the same thing happened. Stike was right just moisture coming out not a big deal but a pain to clean. It wont do it anymore once you get the moisture out which it looks like you did. My large that I use for low and slows only cause its the one with the gasket will do that if I let it get up to the 500 degree range just cause it never gets hot enough to burn the moisture out. Have fun cleaning that thing.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    like was said, just moisture coming out. i wouldnt clean it
    :D

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    wow...now that's totally nasty. Thanks for the reminder to keep my egg dry and drip pan in place!

• like was said, just moisture coming out. i wouldnt clean it

Mmmmmmm! Flavor.

• stike
    ain't the drip pan.  it's fatty smoke settling on the inside of the cooker
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174

Seems like the point here is if your needs are such that you are trying to do a super-wet cook like 6 butts at once you might be a good candidate for a different type of cooker aka Lang Gator etc. 

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Glad I saw this. I'd prolly flip out if I came out and my egg look like it had the plauge

XLBGE 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    So, are the eggs in question left out in the elements with no cover on them?  I planned on getting a cover when my egg comes in, but this seals the deal to get one.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• ain't the drip pan.  it's fatty smoke settling on the inside of the cooker
    Wouldn't there be less fatty smoke if the drippings weren't hitting the fire (aka using a drip pan)? I know fishless does not use drip pans. I've cooked well over 100 briskets/butts in mine and it sits outside uncovered. I've never seen anything like this. 
  • fishlessman
    ain't the drip pan.  it's fatty smoke settling on the inside of the cooker
    Wouldn't there be less fatty smoke if the drippings weren't hitting the fire (aka using a drip pan)? I know fishless does not use drip pans. I've cooked well over 100 briskets/butts in mine and it sits outside uncovered. I've never seen anything like this. 
    this only happens to my weekend egg, it sits in maine in the mud all week then gets used on weekends, its so wet inside i light it on friday night just to dry it out to use on sat/sunday
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    like fish said, it's the wet, not the fat, more than anything. the caramic of the egg is dirty, no matter how you cook in it.

i'm betting that when dabuttman comes back, he's gonna say "you know, we DID have a lot of rain...".  that, or it went a longtime without being used.

i haven't had much chance to cook since february.  workworkwork (though you'd never knowit), and i find the egg is more fickle than i thought regarding usage (how often) and damp/wet.  had a few cooks where it takes forever to get to 400-500 or higher.

• like fish said, it's the wet, not the fat, more than anything. the caramic of the egg is dirty, no matter how you cook in it.

i'm betting that when dabuttman comes back, he's gonna say "you know, we DID have a lot of rain...".  that, or it went a longtime without being used.

i haven't had much chance to cook since february.  workworkwork (though you'd never knowit), and i find the egg is more fickle than i thought regarding usage (how often) and damp/wet.  had a few cooks where it takes forever to get to 400-500 or higher.

got it. Mine is in the TX sun and I use it at least twice a week all year. makes sense

• fishlessman
    like fish said, it's the wet, not the fat, more than anything. the caramic of the egg is dirty, no matter how you cook in it.

got it. Mine is in the TX sun and I use it at least twice a week all year. makes sense

so you dont have a problem with freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw either

this was a warranty isssue

fukahwee maine

• Tis only a flesh wound.
  • fishlessman
    i have the replacement incase it ever goes
    :))
    fukahwee maine

• i did have it up in WI for 4 years before moving home to Austin but never had that issue up there either
  • DaButtMan
    Thanks everyone for the replies.  I have 4 butts on tonight to see if I can't get some more fatty drippings in there :).  I am actually glad this is not a warranty issue because I sure do love my girl.
  • Thanks everyone for the replies.  I have 4 butts on tonight to see if I can't get some more fatty drippings in there :).  I am actually glad this is not a warranty issue because I sure do love my girl.

Atta boy.