Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scallops with Bacon Jam topping

Howdy_Doody
Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I made scallops with a Bacon Jam topping from H.E.B. grocery stores.  This is a great topping, and they say it is excellent on chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc.  I can tell you it is great on scallops.  It has a slight sweet taste, but not overbearing at all and a baconish flavor.  If you're in the HEB shopping area, I recommend you give it a try.

Cooking the scallops on the Mini in butter and olive oil.

Pouring the Bacon Jam on the scallops.

Plated on top of a Spinach / Mandarin Orange Salad with a Balsamic Vinegairette . (Recipe follows)

8 cups Baby Spinach
¼ cup Almonds, slivered, toasted
4 Manderin Oranges, supremed, wedged
1 small Red onion, sliced
2 teaspoons Orange juice, fresh
1 ½ teaspoons Olive oil
3 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
1 tablespoon Agave nectar
¼ teaspoon Poppy seeds⅛ teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon Soy Sauce
1.Mix together the orange juice, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, agave, poppy seeds, salt and soy sauce.
2.Slice red onions and place in water for 10 minutes, or in the marinade if using for leftovers.

3.For each serving, plate baby spinach, scatter orange segments and onion, douse with dressing and sprinkle with toasted almonds.

4.Serves 4
Dripping Springs, Texas

Comments

• BGE4Life
    BGE4Life Posts: 34
    That looks really tasty!!!!!!  Love the plating!!!
  • ha! we bought some earlier today. beat me to the punch. Glad to hear it's good.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    That plating looks like it is for a White House Dinner for Heads of State.
  • Howdy_Doody
    Wow, what a coincidence, C-T.  Try it on a different meat and post your find.  

Thanks for the other two comments.  
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited June 2012
    Very nice cook and plating.  
    ? HD or C-TS, recipe says to place red onions in H2O for 10 min...it that to take the sulfur edge off the onion? If you use a sweet onion would that step be necessary?
    Great minds think alike or fools seldom differ, whichever :-).   We just picked up a jar at CM for the family cook this weekend.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Howdy_Doody
    AE, yes, soaking the red onion in water leaches out the sulfur compounds and, therefore, takes out the "bite".  That wouldn't be needed with a sweet onion.  But, the red color is so nice with that salad.

Interesting about CM.  My normal HEB was out of the Bacon Jam, so I went to CM.  The lady there said they don't carry it .. only HEB.  Sooooo, I went to another HEB to get it.  She obviously was wrong.
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Wow, what a coincidence, C-T.  Try it on a different meat and post your find.  

Thanks for the other two comments.  
    I wasn't going to do scallops....but I thought it was funny my wife brought it home same day and we were looking for something fun to do with it to post. I guess i should assume that when bacon shows up in jam that you better act quick if you want to get one over on this crew!

• Howdy- For some reason, I didn't even see that you were OP on this until just now. Now I know I was way late :)

• Very nice cook and plating.  
    ? HD or C-TS, recipe says to place red onions in H2O for 10 min...it that to take the sulfur edge off the onion? If you use a sweet onion would that step be necessary?
    Great minds think alike or fools seldom differ, whichever :-).   We just picked up a jar at CM for the family cook this weekend.  

I learned that right here with you.had no idea about the red oinion. Not sure what I'm going to do with this stuff yet, but now I know I'd better bring my A game (and go buy some new plates) :))
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    I learned that right here with you.had no idea about the red oinion. Not sure what I'm going to do with this stuff yet, but now I know I'd better bring my A game (and go buy some new plates) :))
    Just a reminder you realy only need one good plate for the money shot :D
  • I learned that right here with you.had no idea about the red oinion. Not sure what I'm going to do with this stuff yet, but now I know I'd better bring my A game (and go buy some new plates) :))
    Just a reminder you realy only need one good plate for the money shot :D
    Then I'll need to go buy a new plate :))

• Howdy_Doody
    My wife buys dishes like some women buy hair spray.   :((
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Beeee---ahhh---yuuu---tee---full!!  I am gonna have to check CM this weekend to see if that have it. Think it would go well on charbroiled oysters?

SG - do you mean only one good plate? Or one nicely plated up? You can see where we always "try" and get a nice plated up shot, but you should see the other plate where its all dumped on. Mrs. G usually gets the "nice" plate.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Howdy_Doody

Think it would go well on charbroiled oysters?

I'm sure it would.  I'd bet your Egg on it.   :D
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • My wife buys dishes like some women buy hair spray.   :((
    Mine too. Guess I better rummage around in the cabinet(s) she keeps her booty....er, I mean plates

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Wonderful recipe and gorgeous plating. Haven't seen plating that nice since someone elses posts a while back :-\"
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    HD said "told CM did not carry it and found the bacon jam at HEB". That is my biggest complaint about HEB/CM sometimes it is there when you return another time the item has vanished....but then you see it at another HEB. It is ridicoulos
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Howdy_Doody
    HD said "told CM did not carry it and found the bacon jam at HEB". That is my biggest complaint about HEB/CM sometimes it is there when you return another time the item has vanished....but then you see it at another HEB. It is ridicoulos
    lol.  They want you to visit both stores. :-q
    Dripping Springs, Texas