Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you like best about your small,BGE ?

2»

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Interesting pricing, I'd go for the mini @ that price. Here in Seattle at a top notch dealer mini $391 small $475, I opted for the mini but that price gap the small would be the option if you are on the fence.
    Seattle, WA
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Interesting pricing, I'd go for the mini @ that price. Here in Seattle at a top notch dealer mini $391 small $475, I opted for the mini but that price gap the small would be the option if you are on the fence.
    I'm going to call him when I get off of work and call a few other stores somewhat close for pricing as well. $475 for a small would be great. I bet he put the plate setter price in with the small (which I would want). He sold his last small last Friday and has more coming in on the 26th. I really want to see them side by side.  Love the portability of the mini though. We will see.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Sgt93
    I read the email response again from the dealer and plate setter was not included in Small price. I'm going to call around. Seems like a hefty price for the Small. I just bought an XL from him, cut a brother a break! :)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Sgt93, you will be amazed at how easy it is to justify another egg purchase.  We started off with a large and by the 4th year we saw the need/usefulness of the small and then a year later we justified the purchase of the mini.  :-)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93, you will be amazed at how easy it is to justify another egg purchase.  We started off with a large and by the 4th year we saw the need/usefulness of the small and then a year later we justified the purchase of the mini.  :-)
    I already know I want another one.  My biggest problem is choosing between the Mini and the Small. I want portability and usefulness and I think both offer that.  I like the price of the Mini better and something inside me really wants to get the Mini :)) I am sure the Small would be of more use though.  Waiting for the dealer to get some more smalls in so I can go and compare the two next to each other.  What do you use more, the Small or the Mini?
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Sgt93 Hope these photos help you decide which one...why not two :-)

Mini
    The small

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Sgt93
    :)) I would love them both. Maybe in the future.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491

I know this will piss some mini BGE lovers off, but I don't think the mini is a real BGE.  The lack of a platesetter is my main reason for saying this.  Some people will point out they can cook indirect on the mini with some homemade rigs or the woo ring from ceramic grill store .... but once you've raised the grid you can't really fit much food into the mini.  The second reason I'm a non-believer is because I think what makes the BGEs a great grill is the large amount of vertical space you can create between the fire and the food ... and again the mini comes up a little short (pardon the pun).

The mini does share one attribute of the other BGEs ... it is very heavy for the amount of grid space it provides.  If I wanted a little direct cooker for camping or tailgating, I would get $30 Weber Smokey Joe and a bag of lump charcoal.  The Smokey Joe has a vent on the bottom, and a vent on the top, and charcoal in the middle ... and that all you'll need to cook some good food.

• Sgt93
    I actually have a Smokey Joe (about 2 years old and used twice). Mine doesn't have the bottom vents. Not very happy with it and tried to give it to my FIL this past weekend but he didn't want it :)) I bought him a 22.5 Weber Gold for his B-Day.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    it's portable
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Cowdogs
    I actually have a Smokey Joe (about 2 years old and used twice). Mine doesn't have the bottom vents. Not very happy with it and tried to give it to my FIL this past weekend but he didn't want it :)) I bought him a 22.5 Weber Gold for his B-Day.

The Smokey Joe Gold does not have a bottom vent.  They moved it to the side ... above the charcoal :-O
    So stick with the Smokey Joe Silver.

• scottc454
    scottc454 Posts: 94

Where are you located and do you want to sell your small?

Denver. I could be convinced to sell it but haven't really decided yet.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited June 2012
    I did 8 inch wood fired pizzas on the mini for the family, 4 pizzas @ a cost of $2 for all 4 if that in supplies. On those nights we've skipped the standard $24 pie we usually get for pizza night. Smokey Joe can't do pizzas. Over time mini will pay for itself :) .
    Seattle, WA
  • Cowdogs

I did 8 inch wood fired pizzas on the mini for the family, 4 pizzas @ a cost of $2 for all 4 if that in supplies. On those nights we've skipped the standard $24 pie we usually get for pizza night. Smokey Joe can't do pizzas. Over time mini will pay for itself :) .

What makes you say the Smokey Joe can't do pizza?  Load it with lump and put a stone (or 2) in it, and you could make 12 inch pizzas.
    See --> http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74420

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Interesting thread. I have a smokey joe in the garage. It's not a bad design and I used it for years when I would car camp. I prefer the flavor on my egg and can get higher temps, but not a smokey joe hater. Just prefer my mini egg.
  • Cowdogs

Yeah I like my egg more too ... until I have to carry it, or leave it unattended chained to my bumper in a parking lot after tailgating.   

Did you every try lump in the smokey joe?  Some of the egg's reputation for high temps comes from buring lump instead of charcoal.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited June 2012
    FWIW, I've only burned lump in a Smokey Joe.
    It will warp the charcoal grate over time.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    I put a big brinkmann smoke n pit pit master deluxe and a weber out on the street in the last few weeks. I doubt I would do that to my smokey joe. That one I would rather keep or give a friend. My mini egg gets used over once a day average. I never did that with anything else. I love how my food comes out. I think if I tailgated a lot with a pickup I might put it in the tool lock box or cab when I went in to a game. One of those tool lock boxes would make me less paranoid about losing it. With my current car I would just put it in the trunk and cover it. Maybe I just drank the big green egg koolaid, but my mini really makes me happy. I am really enjoying cooking on it.