Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any near Raleigh, NC?

Comments

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    You are correct about the Pit not being smokey. I like it because to me they are one of the better eastern NC style bbq's in the triangle and that is the style I grew up with. I also like smoke though too but I just let it slide with the Pit I guess. Big Al's has the smoke if that is what you're looking for. His is not exactly NC style if you are a purist, but it is really good. I think it is some of the best in the triangle. He uses a rub and a less vinegary sauce. That is what differentiates it in a good way.
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    I am in the Morehead City area and know several eggers in the area.Great to see the number of BGE enthusiasts in NC.I expect there are a lot more out there.Hoping to make the WS fest.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    ReconJack, an Eggfest is a bunch of cooks cooking most of the day long, serving up samples of everything imagineable.  You don't eat breakfast.  You just go to the Eggfest.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    RivahPirate, yeah, The Pit was OK, but frankly I liked the sides more than the meats.  There used to be an awesome place down in Garner near the Burger King on 70S, but they closed.  God, I loved their beef ribs.
    The Naked Whiz
  • nozob1
    nozob1 Posts: 43
    I miss that place that closed near Garner.  Holy Smokes I think it was called?  The best smoked brisket ever!  
    In upstate NYS (Binghamton, NY where I come from) the BBQ is just the opposite from the BBQ here in NC. Upstate NY chicken (Cornell Chicken style) was the white vinegar base and the pork/ beef BBQ was the red sauce.  I love the eastern NC pork BBQ the best, good vinegar and lots of smoke.

You all are making me hungry!
  • nozob1
    nozob1 Posts: 43
    ReconJack, you will not go wrong if you buy an Egg.  I am still learning how to cook on them as they are hotter and far more efficient that other grills.  The flavor of what you cook on this grill is unreal! Plus you can save the charcoal! You would be thrilled with one.  I am hoping we will learn more at Winston Salem Eggfest in August.  Taking my noteook!  :)
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I went to The Pit last year and had a very snooty waiter whom made sure we knew how sophisticated he was. I ordered a Miller Light and he snickered and said "we don't serve commercial beer." I knew that wasn't the place for me. I would give the ribs a 6 out of 10. Sides were very good. I won't go back.

I responded by asking the fancy waiter if they had any fancy beer that tasted like Miller Light. He wasn't amused.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • lakebndegg
    lakebndegg Posts: 28
    Just as many women as men hanging out and cooking at eggfest. You bring your beverages of choice and try lots of yummy items prepared on the egg. I was at Dizzyfest a couple of weekends ago and had a blast!
    Good food,blues music and good people,(don't get much better).
  • Hi54putty
    I think there will be a pretty good crowd at the W-S Eggfest...at least I hope. I am included in a group of about 10 first timers I know will be going.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I get not serving macrobrews, but being snotty about it is not the way to go. That waiter would have been much better off saying something like we don't serve miller lite, but beer xyz if a lighter beer and you might like. What a bad approach he had. I mean what happened to customer always right approach. Who knows if he suggested something similar you may have found a new favorite beer, and returned often; instead he was snotty and standoffish, moronic.
  • The Naked Whiz
    I think there will be a pretty good crowd at the W-S Eggfest...at least I hope. I am included in a group of about 10 first timers I know will be going.
    There was a respectable crowd at the first one, and lots of food.  I'm hoping this one can build on that.  I'm not sure I can go.  That's my birthday and my wife seems to think she knows what I want on my birthday, lol!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Hi54putty
    Hope you can make it. Maybe someone can Egg a cake.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Hi54putty
    I get not serving macrobrews, but being snotty about it is not the way to go. That waiter would have been much better off saying something like we don't serve miller lite, but beer xyz if a lighter beer and you might like. What a bad approach he had. I mean what happened to customer always right approach. Who knows if he suggested something similar you may have found a new favorite beer, and returned often; instead he was snotty and standoffish, moronic.
    This is almost exactly the conversation we had when the guy walked off.  I probably wouldn't have gone back anyway because it wasn't that good, but definitely won't after that little exchange. I mean, it's a BBQ place...come on.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • mteele
    mteele Posts: 48
    Just a bump to see who is going this weekend!!! Might be making my way there from Cary. 50/50 right now since I'll have to bring my toddler son :)
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    To get y'all started you should all come to Eggtoberfest at Atlanta Motor Speedway...you will have fun & eat well. I promise...Oct 19 & 20....hope to see y'all there.
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Raleigh guy here - just north of 540 off Falls of Nuese...spoke to the Firehouse crew and they mentioned the Naked Whiz bought his first Egg off Brian. 
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092

nozob1...be sure and drop by the camp area along the back straight away either Fri or Sat or both for pre & after parties...

• cpsrs
    cpsrs Posts: 1
    Triangle Egg Fest?
    I had an egg back in the 1990's (and loved it) and am getting one for my boyfriend for Christmas.  As President of the Rotary Club of Raleigh (downtown), I have been trying to come up with a fundraiser for our club.  What about a local Egg Fest in Raleigh?? Would there be enough people?

Other ideas were tailgating contests between the colleges in the parking lot - maybe at the convention center and concert in the amphitheater?  I have a great contact at the convention center (a member of our club) so can plan anything.  Thoughts?  Ideas?  I was thinking we could do around the ACC tournament, but it would be great to have ECU involvement. 

Open to suggestions and/or some egging on to do it by all of you!  (No pun intended.)
  • scmoose
    scmoose Posts: 164
    Reviving an old thread, Fuquay here, just picked up a used very old MBGE couple of weeks ago.  Any news on an eggfest this year.  Would like to pick up a large.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    scmoose said:
    Reviving an old thread, Fuquay here, just picked up a used very old MBGE couple of weeks ago.  Any news on an eggfest this year.  Would like to pick up a large.
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/events/eggfests/
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • scmoose
    Yeah I just found that on the mother ship site.  Kind of a weird way list events.  I didnt see anything for NC or SC. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Try Georgia Mt Eggfest in Hiawassee GA. It's this weekend though, so might be too late. It's almost in state. :) By all accounts, one of the best.

http://mountainegg.com

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• scmoose
    Yeah Ive got duty down in Columbia this weekend.  Just looked up Hiawassee, thats a haul from Raleigh. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Yeah, it's a hike. But I know a woman in San Diego who has been to fests in Florida. And a guy from Minnesota too. Nothing in nc/sc that I can think of. Dizzy Pig does a couple every year I think. Manassas VA.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    There's one in va beach in the fall.  That's probably the closest to you geographically 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Wake Forest here!  Moved here about a year ago from Nashville, TN.  Our local hardware store had a smaller eggfest a few weeks back, they were cooking on 4-5 eggs.  Also, has anyone tried the Kamato Grille on Spring Forest road in North Raleigh yet?  @Mike8it I have been to B's a few times and Lexington BBQ.  @ncbbq Al's Rolesville is only minutes away from my house, have not tried it yet.
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    @RivahPirate I live in Wake Forest, where is Route 1 BBQ?  Internet shows it is closed.  We do have a pretty good one off of Route 98 called Firepit BBQ.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I am not.....but I am a fan of the 42nd Street Oyster Bar!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited May 2015
    Really blows that they don't have one in Winston Salem any longer.  Typical for me to be a day late and dollar short.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site