Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

3rd brisket and first maverick cook

ncbbqncbbq Posts: 257
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
This weekend I decided to try brisket again. This was a 4 lb flat which worried me from some of what I've read here from the brisket experts, but the price was right and I am still learning. I rubbed with 50/50 DP Cow Lick and turbinado sugar which I found on the DP website. Plate setter legs up and a few chunks of mesquite wood for some smoke. I cooked it around 225 - 240 for about six hours and then bumped it up to 250 to finish it off and pulled it at 196. This was my first cook with the Maverick ET-732 which is awesome. It gives you a lot more insight as to what is going on then just the dome thermometer. Definitely a good piece of equipment to have. I read a suggestion from someone on here (don't remember who) about clipping it to the back hinge of the egg and that worked great. Thanks to the poster that mentioned this.

This was the best brisket I have cooked yet. There is definitely still room for improvement but not bad at all. It sliced up nice and was tender. It was somewhat moist but I would prefer it a little more. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that this was a very small flat. One of these days I would like to give a whole brisket a try. So here is this NC guy's attempt at some Texas BBQ.

Comments

• I bought the Maverick and I love it. I have used it on 3 brisket cooks and I found myself staring at it all the time haha.....I did 2 of them overnight and it really did help me sleep.
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
    http://www.wolfstudiosphotography.com
  • rickHPrickHP Posts: 49
    So what was the total time for the cook? This is about the size of brisket I'd like to try, even if it's smaller than optimum.
  • ncbbqncbbq Posts: 257
    edited June 2012
    So funny, I stared at it the whole time too. I got it in anticipation of my first overnight cook of pork butt this weekend. That was my first time taking it for a spin.
  • Nothing like the alarm waking you up at 4am telling you the fire is out
    :))
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
    http://www.wolfstudiosphotography.com
  • ncbbqncbbq Posts: 257
    I don't recall exactly but it seems like it was in the 6 - 7 hour range. I lowered the temp down to the 230 - 240 because it seemed like it was going too fast. It went right through the 150's to 160's without even a stall so I lowered the temp to sort of induce a stall so it would be done closer to dinner. I suspect if I cooked it at 250 the whole time it might have been done in 4 - 5 hours but since I changed the temps I do not know if it would have eventually stalled on its own. I just didn't want to have to pull it 6 hours early. I know about the foil, towel, cooler but it seemed that would have been pushing it with that much time.