Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Medium size change?

KirkInWaKirkInWa Posts: 3
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

Been 5-6 years since i was on here.  Life got in the way and i stopped posting and using my egg much.  Getting back into it.

I have a medium from the mid 90s.  Recently my fire box split into 3 pieces.  My fire ring had split into 2 many years ago but was still useable. .  Well with the fire box now broken I decided to replace both.  Bruce at BGE was great and I got both under warranty,    The box fit perfectly but the ring was slightly to big.  Is the new medium larger than the old?  Are fire rings still available for the old eggs?

• CowdogsCowdogs Posts: 488
    Measure the ring to be sure it is not abnormally large. 
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 2,115
    My medium is from this year and the fire ring is slightly bigger than the hole, and rests on top. I have no comparison to older models, so I am not sure if it is bigger than previously tho. However, it works just fine for me.
  • KirkInWaKirkInWa Posts: 3
    Here is my old ring sitting on top of a new ring.  As you can see it is much larger. 
  • fonemanfoneman Posts: 104
    It looks like you have the bottom of the old one setting on the top of the new one.. Any pics of the top of the old one setting on the top of the new one to get a better idea of the difference in size? Either top to top or bottom to bottom?

Foneman you are correct.  The black one is the old one.  It nearly falls into the new one.  diameter of the old one is 14.5 and the new one is 15.5 inches.  Obviously a big difference.  Anyone have one they can measure?

• AirwolfAirwolf Posts: 76
    They are angled... the tops are wider than the bottoms.  Place the bottoms together or the tops together and compare the sizes....
    Exactly a inch different on the bottoms also.  15 on the new one and 14 on the old one.