Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pizza Stone

Phoenix824Phoenix824 Posts: 243
edited June 2012 in Baking
I have a pampered chef pizza stone but have read that they may not work real well in my BGE due to cracking.      Are there any other pizza stones beside the BGE one I can look at.    Does anyone know what is different about them?
Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE

Comments

• www.ceramicgrillstore.com Check this place out it may help you.
  • I have a Pampered Chef stone and just purchased a BGE stone; the BGE stone is a good bit thicker.
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    edited June 2012
    I bought this one locally:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000E19MW/ref=mp_s_a_4?qid=1338547484&sr=8-4

Much thicker than the wife's pampered chef stone.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • KristinnnKristinnn Posts: 133
    i have used the old stone one from amazon too..works great
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 604
    i have an thin stone i plan on using til it breaks... then i will upgrade.
  • MikeP624MikeP624 Posts: 292

my pampered chef stone works fine.  Not sure why it would crack, unless it has absorbed water.

• Phoenix824Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Not sure either Mike,  I have used mine three times so far and no problems.   I saw a article about it on the Naked Whiz site and wondered if anyone had a real problem.   I heat my stone with the grill and then throw on the pizza.   My plan is just to us it until in breaks then by a thicker one.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,724
    I had PC stone for 5 years and never problem until I put on the egg. I think it is the temp you can achieve on egg that cracks the PC. I don't know any kitchen oven that goes past 525. PC stone will probably work well within kitchen oven temps.
    My favorite stone it the Emile Henry cost is 50.00, but the stone is a multi-tasker and is rated to 750F.
    Large, small and mini SW Austin
  • JerkChickenJerkChicken Posts: 551
    What's wrong with getting the BGE stone? That thing is a beast.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • michigan_jasonmichigan_jason Posts: 1,345
    Price for most...

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jasonmichigan_jason Posts: 1,345
    Price for most...
    Personally I love the BGE one and think it is worth it

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Have used my pampered chef stone every time and it works great.
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,321
    Price for most...
    After the pampered chef cracks like mine and a whole lot of others the BGE stone will look lik a bargain.
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,390
    i have the BGE stone but also had a stone from my gasser i use on my BGE found it at a kitchen shop 35.00 i believe it was trick is you need a high temp stone this one is rated at 1400 degree's and works great in the egg and is about the thickness of the pamper chef one so my guess it's the type of ceramic its made out of    
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,278
    I prefer my BGE stone but have used my Pampered Chef stone just as often (since we are normally making 2 pizzas) and have not had an issue. 

I'd pick up an extra stone just because they come in handy but don't be afraid to use the PC on the Egg.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • COeggerCOegger Posts: 56
    I have a Pampered Chef stone that has survived multiple pizzas.  Use it until it breaks...
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,592
    I use pampered chef stone. Was no reason in buying another since already had it. Have done several pizzas around 550-600 degree range. Also it says outside in the egg when not in use

XLBGE 
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Love my BGE stone.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • AlligatorAlligator Posts: 35
    I just have a pizza stone from the local bed bath & beyond or khols type store. (can't remember which)

Had my egg up to 850 degrees and it has been fine. Price was under 20 bucks.