Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Granite table owners

Options
Eggdam
Eggdam Posts: 223
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was at me neighbors at the cottage and noticed he had a brand new egg in a granite topped table. I noticed the egg has a very small air gap between the egg and the granite. I think he would be lucky is he has 1/4" but I would say less. My question is how much air gap is needed to not crack the top? I plan on building a table soon.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if it isn't touching, it shouldn't crack.  it wouldn't be heat that jumped the gap and caused the stone to expand, it would be the egg expanding and pushing outward against the stone
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • PapaB
    PapaB Posts: 146
    Options
    I have a granite table top with a circular hole cut to support my LBGE on a rock slab built into the outdoor unit.  I have just enough clearance to make it a PITA putting the cover on when cooled off.  The granite's probably about 1.5-2" thick.  Check it out here:  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/869126/pic-test#latest
  • Steviewonder1
    Options
    I also have a granite top on my BGE table.  The only space between the granite and wood is the shims needed to get it flat and level.  I had already sealed the table before installing the granite top.  I also have a stone paver for the EGG to sit on the second layer under the top.  
  • gumbo_bill
    gumbo_bill Posts: 35
    Options

If you cut a circle,  it makes the granite quite thin in from and back,  and granite might flex and crack in the narrowist part of the granite.  I made mine square, thus much easier to clean and take egg out if needed.

It's not as pretty but see enclosed picture.

Also under egg I have air spacers, cement board, air spacers and 1 1/2 thick granite and then more spacers under the egg.  The handle on a hot skillet is cooler since conduction transfers heat from only a small part of the skillet. Thus my spacers work by not only providing air flow but more importantly by preventing conduction.