Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE forum

Options
Charla
Charla Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wanted to say hi, and you all are the best sales pitch the company has. I'm impatiently waiting for my Egg to be delivered. There is a ton of info here, Ive learned so much already. One question has anyone deep smoked a turkey...like ham pink all the way thru?...Thanks Charla

Comments

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Charla,[p] Hi & welcome to the form. Your right, this is a great place
    to visit & pickup some much needed info. When you get your Egg, what size will it be? Also any question you have, just
    fire away. Turkey is something i have tried & still need
    some room for improvement. Put the poor thing on for 6 hrs
    or so & instead of it feeding me, we had to feed it. Still
    undercooked big time. I have gottin much better & now I
    remember the remove the price tag & wrapper from the meat
    before grilling.Hee Hee
    You'll love it.[p] Earl

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Earl, you do yourself a dis-service. I distinctly remember your telling us that you did too throw the price tag away. :-) I remember that very well, as I wondered at the time why you threw away the best part!
    Welcome to the forum Charla, and I just wolfed down a great smoked turkey sandwich. Made it last night (whole turkey breast) and used apricot wood for smoke, and Cajun Seasoning for flavoring. Yep..had a nice reddish smoke ring and delicious. Took about 3 hours max time. 8.25lb breast.[p]Cheers, and hurry back to the forum..
    C~W[p]

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Charla,
    I've prepared many turkey breasts, and some really big whoppers, too. Last Christmas, I roasted a 22-pounder in Humpty. As I recall, it took about 5 hours. BUT...my family's not real big on a deep smoke flavor, so I don't add soaked chips. I'm sure others on this list can help you out. Before roasting a turkey on the Egg, I always brine the bird for at least 24 hours. I've made rather complicated brining solutions, but in a pinch just sugar (1/3 c) and salt (1/3 c) in several gallons of water works fine as a simple brine. Always wash the brine off and dry the bird before roasting.[p]I roast poultry on either a vertical roaster or, if the bird's too big to "stand up" I use a v-rack over a drip pan set on some thin firebricks.[p]I'd probably go with alder, apple, or pecan chips for turkey. For deep smoke throughout, I'd lower the temperature and use a Polder thermometer to moniter the longer cooking time. Smokin' Todd and Char Woody (to name but two on this list) probably have some more experience and better pointers you could follow.
    Good luck, and Happy Egging!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Gretl, I'll tag along behind ya..You do turkey very well!
    C~W

• Dooms-Dave
    Dooms-Dave Posts: 15
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    What arrangement did you use to do your turkey breast? (e.g. fire bricks with drip pan and additional grate up above? vertical roaster with drip pan?)
    Thanks.
    -DD

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Dooms-Dave, I use 3 standard 1.25" X 4" x 9" ceramic firebricks edge to edge across the center of the grill. Then two firebricks on edge to support the second grill. The drip pan goes on the firebricks with your liquid. Some use fruit juices..I used last time Bud Light! I didn't need the gravy this time.. If I did, I would use a couple of cups of orange juice. Or Plain water.
    I put the bird right on the second grill breast side up with the cavity down on the grill..(no legs or wings on this breast otherwise a whole bird) If I used a whole bird I would do it laying on its back..The bird in suspension this way is cooked and browned equally all the way around. If you put the bird in or near the proximity of the pan edge, you will get a more pale underside cook. I like mine fully browned.
    I opened the dome and inserted the Polder Probe at the 2.5 hour mark to check temperature (cooking at 350F) and it was 165 breast temperature at that time..So I hit it very close.
    Hope this helps...!
    BTW..using this method I find no difference in the bird from a vertical roaster...Cheers..C~W

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Charla,[p]A hearty welcome to the forum and congrats on your impending Egg. You will not regret the purchase as the cooker is most versatile and very forgiving with the cook.[p]Thanks for stating one of the two best reasons for the existance of this forum. The other reason is that we users have a cost free (BGE entirely provides) exchange with others that enjoy and use the same product. A nice relationship.[p]I haven't attempted to smoke a turkey entirely through, but it is possible. I am not familiar with the purpose of the cook. Will you enlighten me. Thanks.[p]Spin

• Unknown
    Options
    Charla,[p]Welcome to the forum. Many folks here to help you with anything you want to cook on your new Egg.[p]Deep smoking a turkey--like ham pink all the way thru? I think I can get you close to these results if you have the time and equipment. Your turkey won't be as pink as a good ham but can be done about as good. The turkey must be injected with a good brine, covered dripping wet with Wishbone Robust salad dressing, placed in the fridge for at least two days, apply a good poultry rub, and then slow smoked for the first 3-4 hours with some mild wood chunks. You need to raise the temp for about the last two hours to get the skin right and take it off at the right temp. It is much easier to do turkey parts because the breast pieces need to be pulled at 152-155 degrees and the dark meat at about 175 degrees to get this cook as you want it. Difficult with a whole bird. The meat will be juicy and the liquids will run clear and the meat will be light pink all the way to the bone. When you get your new smoker, e-mail me and I will tell you how to do it.[p]Old Dave
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Old Dave, I just knew there was a cook in this crowd..Great post. Your logic sounds like its on target with some "country experience".
    C~W[p]