Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How good is Pappy Van Winkle?

Comments

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Basil Hayden's is another very nice drinker. Very grassy but a cool flavor and very smooth. Definitely on the lighter side but I like it anyway.
    Good call on the Basil=silky smooth!!

• Bandituba
    Bandituba Posts: 6
    Just tried Buffalo Trace last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. I really like Four Roses. It's a toss up between it and Knob Creek for me. Four Roses is slightly less expensive with a lighter color and flavor.
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Basil Hayden's is another very nice drinker. Very grassy but a cool flavor and very smooth. Definitely on the lighter side but I like it anyway.
    Good call on the Basil=silky smooth!!

Another fan of Basil Hayden. I find Woodford a bit sweet. Work requires my travel to Louisville KY frequently. Love the bar and selection at the Seelbach hotel on 4th St.

Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • woo-hooo! Daddy just got a bottle of Pappy (the jefferson's) for Father's Day! US Open, Brisket and pappy tomorrow- Not a bad little sunday

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    woo-hooo! Daddy just got a bottle of Pappy (the jefferson's) for Father's Day! US Open, Brisket and pappy tomorrow- Not a bad little sunday

What time should I arrive :D
  • woo-hooo! Daddy just got a bottle of Pappy (the jefferson's) for Father's Day! US Open, Brisket and pappy tomorrow- Not a bad little sunday

What time should I arrive :D
    No lie. Just put the brisket on and opened the pappy for a little victory swig. Good times.

• SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Pappy is great stuff, I have half a bottle left that I will work on today as I grill my Father's Day brisket.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    edited June 2012
    Hmm, I haven't had the pleasure of trying this. A search on tinterweb and I can get a bottle for £115 or about $180. My question, is it really that good or should I try getting something more reasonable?
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    visited my "hooch" store last night, no pappy's or jefferson presidential, only jefferson's reserve.  Didn't get the vibe from the reserve, so asked the oldest grey haired store clerk what up with no pappy's or presidential. He said both are commercial products now.  So asked what he recommends, he said Blantons with one cube.  Sound impressive, so I picked up a bottle.  I'm usually a Knob or Makers guy.  We'll see how the Blanton's stacks up........

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Hmm, I haven't had the pleasure of trying this. A search on tinterweb and I can get a bottle for £115 or about $180. My question, is it really that good or should I try getting something more reasonable?

That's really high and I'm sure why we can't get anymore :) the jefferson is around $80 and the pappy was close to that when we could get it.
  • jay75
    Hmm, I haven't had the pleasure of trying this. A search on tinterweb and I can get a bottle for £115 or about $180. My question, is it really that good or should I try getting something more reasonable?

That's really high and I'm sure why we can't get anymore :) the jefferson is around $80 and the pappy was close to that when we could get it.
    The Jefferson is about the same price here! I could be swayed to try... Maybe?
  • Hmm, I haven't had the pleasure of trying this. A search on tinterweb and I can get a bottle for £115 or about $180. My question, is it really that good or should I try getting something more reasonable?

The Jefferson is about the same price here! I could be swayed to try... Maybe?

Make sure it's the right one. The other Jefferson I've had was so-so. It's Jefferson 18 yr presidential select. I'll post a pic for you

• If t's not this exact one , I would pass (this is the Pappy)

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • jay75
    If t's not this exact one , I would pass (this is the Pappy)

Yep! That's the one $180 or so.. I do love my whiskey though.
  • If t's not this exact one , I would pass (this is the Pappy)

Yep! That's the one $180 or so.. I do love my whiskey though.

That is steep but it's the best I have ever had.....no even close.
  • jay75
    Oh!! I think my wallet just got a bit lighter. =P~
    Just won't tell the missus :-\"
  • Oh!! I think my wallet just got a bit lighter. =P~
    Just won't tell the missus :-\"

She does not need to know. :)

Lemme know what you think
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Okay boys and girls-how would you keep the SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) from knowing-I'm all in with that plan but a realist with my life :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jay75
    It's OK I'm an R.Whites secret lemonade drinker! I'm trying to give it up! But it's one of those nights!
  • Okay boys and girls-how would you keep the SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) from knowing-I'm all in with that plan but a realist with my life :)>-

I'm lucky, mine loves it as much as me! We go get it together

She went and got me a bottle last night for FD but she was in it before me!

• jay75
    OK, I just ordered a bottle of the 20yr Pappy Van Winkle..... The missus hasn't rumbled yet! Might just be good to go? Any excuses on hand just in case?
  • OK, I just ordered a bottle of the 20yr Pappy Van Winkle..... The missus hasn't rumbled yet! Might just be good to go? Any excuses on hand just in case?

Just give her a sip :D
  • jay75
    :^o sure I will!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Just reconfirms-better to be lucky than good!  I will take the slings and arrows however, Father's Day and my B'day are about the only open shots I have-expressing ultimate (and perhaps mis-placed) confidence I will give it a go!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Turkle
    Turkle Posts: 5
    Love me some Wellers for my standby. Eagle Rare is a fantastic bourbon for the money. $50 for a 1.75 in Kansas.
  • Just reconfirms-better to be lucky than good!  I will take the slings and arrows however, Father's Day and my B'day are about the only open shots I have-expressing ultimate (and perhaps mis-placed) confidence I will give it a go!
    We are having a little night cap together as we speak :)

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Stitzel-Weller Produced Pappy Van Winkle in Louisville Ky up to 1991.  The Jeffersons presidential reserve mentioned here (18 yr) is in fact original Stitzel-Weller juice (aka Pappy) if you are fortunate enough to find the 17 yr old Jeffersons presidential reserve grab it as people I trust say it beats the 18 yr.  Pappy is only released once per year around the end of November and is highly allocated and usually reserved for the better customers.  Buffalo Trace distillery, owned by Sazerac now produces Pappy Van Winkle, according to what I read last years release of the 15 year old was the first wholly produced and aged in Frankfort Ky, home of Buffalo Trace distillery.  BT releases Pappy in 10, 12, 15, 20 and 23 year old versions.  I have also been told that weller 12 year is essentially 12 year pappy that for one reason or another did not quite make the grade to be called pappy, supposedly it is the same recipe and about 1/2 the price of 12 year pappy.

Great everyday bargin bourbons that I enjoy are:  Bulliet, Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig 12 year, Eagle Rare 10 year, old antique weller and four Roses Small batch all around the 20-25 a bottle range.  For a special treat and as good as pappy, I believe, try to grab some of the once a year release of the Buffalo trace antique collection several of those are the equal or better than pappy.

I love bourbon!!
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • killborn
    killborn Posts: 37
    Had to drive through to Houston for a lunch meeting today. Spending the night before I head back to Austin.. pleasantly surprised with a Bourbon bar next to the hotel.. trying a Pappy 20yr after all the talk of it. Pretty dang decent. Might need to grab a bottle if I can find.
  • jay75

Hello Pappy!

Handsome devil!

Every cloud and all that eh...