Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do chicken thighs and legs cook at the same time?

ChanningJohnson
ChanningJohnson Posts: 40
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'll be cooking chicken thighs and legs indirect this afternoon. Was wondering what, if anything, I need to consider to have them all ready at the same time. Feel free to share your favorite cooking method, times and grill temperatures. I'm a little new at this : )

Thanks!

Comments

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited June 2012
    Yes thighs and legs should cook about the same. Most here don't cook them like I do which is 250 on a raised grid for a little over two hours but they come out with a real nice texture when cooked like that. FWIW when I do whole or half birds I just go 400 raised grid, you might want to go that route and knock the cook time down to an hour or less.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    +1 on the raised grid direct cook 350-400 (whereever it settles) for around 30-45 mins.  Cook til around 180+ and you will be fine.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks, guys! How ofter are your turning them when you do direct on the raised grid? And is cooking to 180 (instead of 165) for fat rendering?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I will turn once and go to 180 as that is a good temp for that part of the chix-I take breasts to around 160-165.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566

Turn once, I start with the skin down, no real reason for that. I will take them up to 190 even thought they are done at 180. They are still juicy but they seem to fall apart a little easier.