Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just started a Brisket (Flat)

Airwolf
Airwolf Posts: 76
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just put a brisket flat on the egg about an hour ago.  I bought it from Sam's the day I got the egg and didn't have time to read up on the differences between whole and flats.  We will see how it turns out.

I am sort of following the recipe on here: http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/beef-brisket/

Couple of pictures of the start:

Egg Temp, is has since come down a bit, about 225 right now:

And on the egg:

After an hour the meat temp is up to 114F.  Seems to be going quick?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,169

Brisket flats-a challenge every time.  In addition to the info contained in your referenced recipe here are a few sites worth reading:

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html
    All the info you will ever need.

Expect a good plateau/stall somewhere around 160*F and the temp may drop.  Patience is the watchword.  You can expect around 2 hrs/# as noted in your recipe.  In addition to the fork test, when a probe slides in and out of the thickest part of the flat with no resistance you are done-anywhere from around 185-205*F +/-.  Should you end up FTC (foil, towels and cooler) to hold the flat don't slice til ready to eat (dries out very quickly)  and always slice against the grain.  Enjoy the journey-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Airwolf
    Thanks, I have read most of these prior to starting it.  Found them after search the forum for about a week before attempting it.

I have a mix of cherry, hickory and Jack Daniels wood chips for smoke.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    225 dome is approximately 200 where the meat is.  Too low in my opinion.  If you're measuring only with a dome thermometer, I'd go at least 250 or that brisket is going to take FOREVER.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    At the risk of starting the old fat cap down vs up debate, what made you go with it up?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Airwolf
    No reason in particular,  I put the fat cap down on the pork butt I did a couple weeks ago.  Just wanted to try something different this time.
  • lousubcap
    My view-and an opinion...fat cap up or down doesn't make any difference with the cook but I go cap down (more bark) so anything that may stick to the grid is not the meat.  Same with pork butts-but I have done both ways (not at the same time...) and cannot tell a difference with the end result.  So as with almost all things "Q" it is a matter of preference or "who gives a crap". :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    At the risk of starting the old fat cap down vs up debate, what made you go with it up?
    in the egg, it's recommended to put fat cap down for added protection against the rising heat.  Where the meat is offset from the fire, then most do fat cap up.....

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • dgarrett
    dgarrett Posts: 1
    Please let me know how it goes, I have done full ones they were pretty good, but I have a flat ready, but I have been unsucceful on anytime I have tried the flat! LOOKS GREAT TO START OFF WITH!! Good luck!!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Nothing harder than a brisket flat.
  • waegger
    waegger Posts: 88
    1 cooked a 5.2 lb flat brisket from costco yesterday. It took a full 10 hrs at 225 grill temp ( the last hour i tented with foil and set temp up to 300.) This was my 2nd attempt at brisket, the 1st one was on the dry side. I used Elder Wards rub and after watching pitmasters on tv last week where in competition injected there brisket decided to do the same. This was as tender a brisket as i have ever had, and i have eaten brisket at Blacks in Lock heart Tx. So it can be done.
  • Airwolf
    Well I just pulled it off the egg.  It was at 182 and seemed tender with a fork test.  What was planned as a 8-9 hour cook became a 12 hour cook.  Since it is 10pm I am going to let is rest about 30 mins and give it a try....
  • Well I just pulled it off the egg.  It was at 182 and seemed tender with a fork test.  What was planned as a 8-9 hour cook became a 12 hour cook.  Since it is 10pm I am going to let is rest about 30 mins and give it a try....

no need to let brisket rest. You can eat it now if you are hungry
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Airwolf
    Good to know.... Will be slicing soon..

Will try to get pictures!
  • DevDave
    DevDave Posts: 40
    Awesome!  I did a brisket today too:

• Good to know.... Will be slicing soon..

Will try to get pictures!

sooooooo..............how did it turn out?

• Airwolf
    Just woke up, give a guy a chance to have some coffee first ;)

It was okay for my first attempt.  It was very tender, but I thought it was a little on the dry side.  Are briskets normally served with a 'sauce' of sorts?

Some notes for next time:

1) Start it MUCH earlier!
    2) Use less rub, or less salt in the rub, or a combo of both.

Any tips for getting a moister brisket, bearing in mind I did just a flat.  A whole would probably be a bit better.

Couple finished pictures:

Sliced:

• Just woke up, give a guy a chance to have some coffee first ;)

It was okay for my first attempt.  It was very tender, but I thought it was a little on the dry side.  Are briskets normally served with a 'sauce' of sorts?

Some notes for next time:

1) Start it MUCH earlier!
    2) Use less rub, or less salt in the rub, or a combo of both.

Any tips for getting a moister brisket, bearing in mind I did just a flat.  A whole would probably be a bit better.

Couple finished pictures:

Sliced:

Flats are the most difficult to get right. They dry out very easily and take a lot of experience to get right- Even then, they are so hard to get right that I won't buy one. I can always get whole briskets down here in TX, but I was held hostage in WI for 6 years or so and could only get flats most of the time. The reuslts were so sporatic that I just gave up n them. I know guys like lousubcap and others do nothing but flats (mostly due to availability) and I'm sure they have good reuslts but I know they are hit and miss as well.

Now, that being said, I slice the best parts of the flat and when it starts to get to the dryer parts, I chop and sauce. I LOVE chopped flat sandwiches so all is not lost. go find your favorite sauce or find one on here you like and chop the flat (slice it against the grain, then chop up the slices) put it on a buttered and toasted white cheap bun with sauce and pickles and you will be very happy.

• Airwolf
    Just for reference here is a little time vs. temp graph.  I used a Maverick ET-72.  Dome temp was about 225 for most of the cook, to it to 270 towards the end when I was getting a little impatient.

• Airwolf
    Flats are the most difficult to get right. They dry out very easily and take a lot of experience to get right- Even then, they are so hard to get right that I won't buy one. I can always get whole briskets down here in TX, but I was held hostage in WI for 6 years or so and could only get flats most of the time. The reuslts were so sporatic that I just gave up n them. I know guys like lousubcap and others do nothing but flats (mostly due to availability) and I'm sure they have good reuslts but I know they are hit and miss as well.

Now, that being said, I slice the best parts of the flat and when it starts to get to the dryer parts, I chop and sauce. I LOVE chopped flat sandwiches so all is not lost. go find your favorite sauce or find one on here you like and chop the flat (slice it against the grain, then chop up the slices) put it on a buttered and toasted white cheap bun with sauce and pickles and you will be very happy.

My next adventure is to start experimenting with sauces and making my own.  Right now Sweet Baby Ray's is my go to sauce, but I would like to try one that more vinegary or what I think is called Carolina style?
  • there are some good ones on here. I think Mighty Quinn posted a nice one a month ago or so. I have one on here that is simple and good. I'm making some today to go with the brisket I have on right now. I'l actually measure this time and get back with you. If you can get Salt Lick Sauce where you live, give that a try. You can buy it on line from them too. It is so unique that you use it on lots of different things.
  • look at this link for carolina style sauce
  • Airwolf
    look at this link for carolina style sauce
    Bookmarked! Thanks!!!!!
  • if you like carolina style sauces you will like this
  • lousubcap

I know guys like lousubcap and others do nothing but flats (mostly due to availability) and I'm sure they have good reuslts but I know they are hit and miss as well.

True on all counts.  I have hit significantly more singles and doubles than home-runs and will strike-out a few times as well.  But I enjoy the challenge-and when you get it right-there is nothing better!

• I know guys like lousubcap and others do nothing but flats (mostly due to availability) and I'm sure they have good reuslts but I know they are hit and miss as well.

True on all counts.  I have hit significantly more singles and doubles than home-runs and will strike-out a few times as well.  But I enjoy the challenge-and when you get it right-there is nothing better!

I just pulled a packer that looks to be a masterpiece. I'm due a good one after my last few. I took good notes and will share if it cuts as good as it looks (or if it doesn't)

• lousubcap
    @Cen-Tex-  If I recall correctly wasn't your last one a bit clouded by some pool festivities...Happy Father's Day and enjoy that Jefferson's!
  • @Cen-Tex-  If I recall correctly wasn't your last one a bit clouded by some pool festivities...Happy Father's Day and enjoy that Jefferson's!

you are correct cap. It got eaten but no doubt it suffered the slings and arrows of a day with my knucklehed friends and a bottle of malibu (horrible and embarrassing to even admit) rum.

This one looks really good though. Can't wait to dig in
  • Airwolf
    As I think more about this, the meat seemed very lean.  I had a 1/8-1/4 inch fat cap on it, but the meat itself didn't have any marbling.  It was Angus Choice from Sam's.  That might have been some of the issue with being a little dry.
  • As I think more about this, the meat seemed very lean.  I had a 1/8-1/4 inch fat cap on it, but the meat itself didn't have any marbling.  It was Angus Choice from Sam's.  That might have been some of the issue with being a little dry.

most flats are lean which is why they are so hard to cook for 15 hours and keep moist. the point is loaded with fat (like a pork butt) and in my mind, is essential to get the flat to be moist along with it.
  • waegger
    waegger Posts: 88
    Have you considered injectng to add moisture ?