Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3-2-1 Pork Ribs

gijoejd
gijoejd Posts: 89
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

So lets hear it...When you guys use the 3-2-1 method for Pork Ribs, What do you put in the foil with the ribs?  I (hopefully) will get a plate stetter this weekend and will make my first BGE batch of ribs on Monday.  Has anyone ever put bacon in with there ribs?

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    3-2-1 is mostly spare or st. louis style ribs .....3-1-1 is babyback ribs.....

in the foil, maybe little apple juice, maple syrup and honey.  I'm getting lazy, usually nothing in the foil now.   I find 30 to 45 minutes in foil is usually long enough to get the ribs tender.......also, meat side down, bones up, in the foil to prevent bones from tearing the foil.

if they get too tender from the foil step, then jump the heat and dry them out a bit to firm up during the last step.

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    X-X-X for ribs leaves so many options-it's the chef's (or SWMBO) choice.  Experiment and keep notes, then you will find the combo that works for you.  I am lazy once the prep work is done.  No foil and no sauce-X-0-0 is my "go to technique" but that's the beauty of "Q".  Regardless, enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Car Wash Mike method for me on the baby backs
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Yep.  Here too.  3-1-1 was great for my Traeger, but on the egg, it's just a waste of foil and time.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    x2
  • Car Wash Mike method for me on the baby backs
    x3, always has worked well for me.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    X-X-X for ribs leaves so many options-it's the chef's (or SWMBO) choice.  Experiment and keep notes, then you will find the combo that works for you.  I am lazy once the prep work is done.  No foil and no sauce-X-0-0 is my "go to technique" but that's the beauty of "Q".  Regardless, enjoy!
    I'm with you Cap.  I just sp ray some apple juice on'em and let'em get done.  I like the texture much better without the Texas Crutch.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    no foil here.  foil = steaming, not BBQing.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • gijoejd
    gijoejd Posts: 89

Im new to the egg so learning as I go...I looked up the Car Wash Mike method and that seems a little more fitting/more what I was expecting from an BGE.  I used foil to wrap things in the previous gril but I thought the point of owning an BGE was how well it held temps and didnt dry out your meats as other grills are more susceptible to doing.  I think I will probably try both methods...it'll give me an excuse to smoke more ribs!

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Try it without foil first.  As you pointed out, any grill can do them with foil.  One of the best thing you can do with the egg is to do nothing.  Set your temp, put your food on, and resist the urge to peek, poke or mess with your food.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Ok, I have cooked spare ribs a number of times on my XL Egg. Foil is NOT needed to make the ribs tender or to keep them moist. I marinade the ribs overnight in Worcestershire sauce to break down the meat fibers, then I use the place setter, and cook the ribs for four hours using  hickory chunks  (not chips) for smoke.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    I use foil with my gaser not in my egg!!