Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

LBGE Butt Capacity

ElDestructoElDestructo Posts: 43
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,

I'm cooking for approximately 30 on Saturday with a mix of kids and adults.  I was thinking of getting approximately 12 - 13 pounds of raw, bone-in pork butt.  However, it doesn't appear that my butcher (for those of you in AZ, Hobe Meats) has anything over 10lbs.  So my thought is, I will get 2 x 6 - 7 pound butts.  I have only ever cooked a single piece of meat (other than ribs etc), so was curious how much can be cooked simultaneously on a standard large egg?  Will two 7 pound butts fit comfortably?

Thanks!
·

Comments

• Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Yes
    ·
  • Thanks!
    ·
  • troutgeektroutgeek Posts: 456
    I did four 8ish pounders about three weeks ago.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
    ·
  • Hey, not sure if you have a membership or not, but Costco typically has two butts vacuum sealed that are typically around 7lbs each.  Very good quality meat and you can't beat the price.
    ·
  • Same or Costco are great places to buy the 2 packs. I think costco's are boneless and I know same are bone in. They are roughly 15-20 lbs total and will easily fit on a large together.

·
  • *sam's or Costco

·
  • xraypat23xraypat23 Posts: 421
    I've cooked 4 easily on 2 levels, even fit 5 once, watch the dome thermo when putting the butts on a higher rack. Cooks better and more efficiently the more full it is
    ·
  • Perfect!  Thanks all, I will swing by Costco first before heading to Hobe.  I had picked up brisket from Costco before and while it was pretty good, what I got from the butcher was better (100% could have been user error of course)... I bet pork butt is a little more forgiving.
    ·
  • MowgliMowgli Posts: 34
    I did four 8ish pounders about three weeks ago.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Hello
    I am looking for some kind of grill extender like the one you are using - could you please tell me where i can buy it ?
    ·
  • alyndalynd Posts: 97
    Is 12-13 lbs going to be enough to feed 30 people?
    ·
    It's the 3-tier from BGE. I got it from the dealer.
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
    ·
  • 10Driver10Driver Posts: 88
    Check out ceramicgrillstore.com before you buy anything BGE brand!
    ·
    Check out ceramicgrillstore.com before you buy anything BGE brand!
    Unless you get a really great deal from your dealer. Actually, I'm quite happy with mine. I use the upper tier gates all the time. Small enough to drop on top of coals for searing, etc...
    ·
  • TaterTater Posts: 16
    Can do 4 7-8poundrs at once...stand on end and lace/hold them together with bamboo skewers....all fits on main grate of lg egg...good luck!
    Always having fun with the BGE!
    ·
  • I got 17.5lbs, boneless from Costco for only $31.  One of them has a nice fat cap,but the other one is pretty thin.  I lathered them up with some Dizzy Pig and have placed them on the Egg at 250 dome temp.
    ·
  • STANGOJESTANGOJE Posts: 44
    No problem. I cooked two 7.5 pounders last weekend.
    ·
  • I cooked two 9 lb butts for about the same amount and it was barely enough (about 16-18 adults eating).  cook enough so you have leftovers for the next day!
    ·